Lathe opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
I bought a used one a year or so ago for $150. This one has a few more doo dads than what came with mine, but I also got a starter turning tool set in the deal.
I'd say hold out for another one - or spend $450 on a better lathe...

JOAT

New User
Theo
If new ones are selling for $400, I'd say it'd have to come with a lot of extras before it'd be worth $450. Personally, I'd check local bargain papers.

I got a new 37" between centers, $127 Harbor Freight lathe years ago. Still works great, still happy with it, and doubt I'll upgrade unless it dies. If that happens, I'll probably make one.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Delta 46-700 lathe, has a 12" swing, and the 46-715 has 14" swing.

The 46-700 in the ad, sold for about $450 new. Those extra face plates and tool rest, mixed in with OEM equipment doesn’t impress me. This lathe is very light duty. Emphasis on light duty. Lots of problems with reeves drive and bearings. Levers and plastic wheel on tail stock, break pretty easy too. Essentially hit or miss some folks had no problems, other soon learn this lathe could be a piece of crap. Delta bought a lot of these lathes back from customers which complained a lot!

Seller says price is negotiable, you definitely want to hear this lathe run before making an offer! Would not pay more than $150 to $200 for this obsolete troubled prone lathe.

Somebody did mention HF lathe with stand new for ???

If you were talking about one of those older Delta 12" lathes that came with own stand, from a school or carpenter shop, would say go for it!

garymuto

New User
Gary
Delta 46-700 lathe, has a 12" swing, and the 46-715 has 14" swing.

Somebody did mention HF lathe with stand new for ???

quote]
HF 34-706 usaually on sale for $200 including stand. You can routinely get 10-20% coupons too. It's also light duty, mostly due to the swiveling head stock.

Rob

New User
Rob
I'm going Sunday to look at an older Craftman 12" for $150, chisels included. Figured this would get me started. Tomorrow I'm headed to Klingspor for a turning class. Should prepare me for the bowl turning class next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS