Lathe-made Flowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, very cool. My wife looked over my shoulder while I was watching it and told me to get my butt downstairs and make her some 8-O8-O

Now I just got to find some suitable stock for it...in the dark :lol:

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Really cool - glad I don't have a lathe, else my wife would tell me to make her some :lol:.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That is just too cool. My wife would love those (and the brownie points might lead to a new turning tool or two):-D

edspec

New User
steve
:eusa_clap High Tech does not a better turner make.

If you try a few of these wet or dry post comments on how each type of wood works.

Steve

practice practice practice, feel the wood. What does the wood want to be.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Hey, It actually does work. Took longer to turn the vase than to make the flowers. Unfortunately LOML saw it and now I have to make more. The yellow flowers were dyed with some leftover wood dye, the red are cedar soaked in mineral oil after turning and the rest were colored on the lath with felt tipped markers

Rick Doby

Attachments

• DSCN0021.JPG
    DSCN0021.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 192

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick, you rock :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Did you just use regular KD stock or go out and harvest branches on your own? What did you use for the stems???
My wife is hot on me to try some also...you're no help :roll:

Dave:)

edspec

New User
steve
:eusa_clapNice work. The Vase realy sets it off. Now I have to get around to trying both the weed pot and the flower Ideas.

Steve

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Dave,

I used Chinese Privott that I'm blessed with thanks to great grandma Doby. Straight out of the brush pile. Been laying there since last spring. Cut pieces about 3/4" to 1/2" diameter 6" long for the flowers. Cut branches for the stems. Used a Dremel tool to drill a 1/8" hole in the back for the stem. Glued with a hot glue gun. The cedar used was ripped 3/4" square. I soaked some of the cedar flowers in a cup of mineral oil. Used my compressor to gently blow the excess mineral oil off the flowers.

Make sure the heel of your skew is very sharp. The point of the heel is what actually does the cutting. Takes about 1" to 1 1/4" of material to make 1 flower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS