Lathe Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
I am considering upgrading from my ca1950 Delta lathe and have done a good deal of research lately. The Delta 46-715 looks good but there are what appear to be a lot of unhappy buyers. I may have narrowed the field down to the JET 708352 JWL-1236 or the Grizzly G0584.The HF and a couple of others are priced just too low, me being a staunch believer in YGWYPF.

I don't do a lot of turning but occasionally I get into a project needing some turned spindles, and I turn handles for tools as needed.

I'd appreciate hearing any experience and/or advice NCWW members might be willing to share. Thanks.

Stan Messick
smessick@skybest.com

nelsone

New User
Ed
All I have is a Jet mini, so I probably can't be of much help on the larger lathes. Is there something specific you will be able to get from a new lathe that the old one can't do?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
depending on the model number of your old delta the others you are looking at probly aren't realy upgrades. those old delta lathes are solid machines. I just bought an old one like yours as a second lathe and it seems to be superior to my much newer fisch mini with bed extention. the delta 715 has goten some horible reviews and the jet 1236 is basicaly the same lathe as is the HF and grizzly. newer is not always better just newer. for a real upgrade you may want to look at the next size up from the models you posted. also the nova gets great reviews.

fred p

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
Thanks for the replies.

The old Delta is a bench lathe with steel rather than cast iron ways. It is driven by a step pulley and the headstock is cast metal, probably what we used to call "pot metal", and has to get a liberal shot of oil frequently because it leaks. There's a good bit of vibration. Years ago I made a long bench out of 8/4 poplar and mounted the lathe on one end and an equally ancient Craftsman King-Seeley 15" drill press on the other. The lathe motor is mounted under the bench on a hinged mount so the weight of the motor provides belt tension. All in all it's time for a new lathe.

I've seen too many reviews. I learned long ago to filter those but if there are a lot and a lot of them posit negatives then there is a caveat emptor there. Likewise gushing positives have to be filtered for first timers, had less thans, and "I like the look"ers.

All of which brought me to narrow the field to the Jet and the Grizzly, but having read the above responses I'm beginning to think maybe I need to bump the field up a notch. I just have to balance the expense with my usage.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Stan, There is/was a Nova DVR XP at the Raleigh Woodcraft. I don't know what Tom is quoting, but I suspect that you should at least give Tom a call and see what the price is? If it is right for you, I'm reasonably NCWW expres will get it to you

Thanks for the replies.

The old Delta is a bench lathe with steel rather than cast iron ways. It is driven by a step pulley and the headstock is cast metal, probably what we used to call "pot metal", and has to get a liberal shot of oil frequently because it leaks. There's a good bit of vibration. Years ago I made a long bench out of 8/4 poplar and mounted the lathe on one end and an equally ancient Craftsman King-Seeley 15" drill press on the other. The lathe motor is mounted under the bench on a hinged mount so the weight of the motor provides belt tension. All in all it's time for a new lathe.

I've seen too many reviews. I learned long ago to filter those but if there are a lot and a lot of them posit negatives then there is a caveat emptor there. Likewise gushing positives have to be filtered for first timers, had less thans, and "I like the look"ers.

All of which brought me to narrow the field to the Jet and the Grizzly, but having read the above responses I'm beginning to think maybe I need to bump the field up a notch. I just have to balance the expense with my usage.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Agree with folks about keeping old lathe and making a few repairs. Perhaps making a steady rest will improve performance.

If you must up-grade, the Jet mini with bed extension might be the ticket for cost and amount of turning you do. They have two versions Variable Speed, still have to move the belts, and plain old move the belts to adjust speed.

Woodcraft has both: JML-1014IVS 10X14" VS W/INDEX HEAD #147823
for 329.99 and JML 1014 10X14" W/INDEX HEAD $249.99
Bed extension would cost $64.99

If go with a Jet mini, might also consider getting a 12" tool rest, also available at woodcraft.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hi Stan,

I just upgraded from the JET 1236 to a PM3520B. The Jet was a very servicable machine. I turned a bunch of 6 to 8 inch bowls with no trouble. It was a bit light and required multiple bags of sand to "calm it down" sometimes. The headstock swiveled 45 and 90 deg. and thus required regular alignment checks. All in all it worked fine and I would recommend it as a light to medium duty lathe.

The Powermatic is whole 'nuther story. Power, stability, features,... it's got it all :icon_thum. I was torn between the PM and the Nova DVR when I was looking. I eventually settled on the PM based on the the stability afforded by its mass. Hope that helps.

newtonc

New User
jak
Stan, There is/was a Nova DVR XP at the Raleigh Woodcraft. I don't know what Tom is quoting, but I suspect that you should at least give Tom a call and see what the price is? If it is right for you, I'm reasonably North Carolina Woodworker expres will get it to you

I was at the Raleigh Woodcraft today,and it seemed to me all the lathes were spoken for.The one left on the floor had a sold sign on it.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I currently own a PM 45 and Delta 715. The 715 requires a lighter touch to avoid excessive vibration, mainly due to the compound rest not being stout enough. Sandbags help alot and I am thinking of getting a heavier post holder for it. The flexibility of the 360-degree headstock, simplicity of changing speeds, low cost and high availability of parts and accessories is nice. It's not the lathe for very large or abnormal shapes.

The Powermatic can't be beat though for the weight and stablility. I'm sure the newer ones are much more flexible (in terms of utility) than my old 1962 version. The main shortcoming of this one comes when going to outboard turning as there is no swivel headstock, outboard rest, or reversable moter.

Pick out a big'n, bolt it to the floor and choose the one with all the toys you could need. Personally, the PM or a OneWay would be my favorite.

BobN

New User
Bob
I had this problem about 4 years ago. I started turning about 15 years ago, started with an old Craftsman lathe that was made in 1946. It was good enough to learn on and I used it for a couple of years and then got a Delta 46-700, boy what a piece of junk. It was so light that I had to build a shelf under it to put sand bags on. This was the model that you turn the head 90 degrees to turn larger stuff. Well every time I would turn something that was larger than 12 inches I would break the drive pulley. Sometimes if the work was a little on the heavy side I would go through 2 or 3 drive pulleys before I would finish the object. Kept this lathe for about 6 or 7 years and finally decided to get a real lathe, besides Delta profits had got up high enough as a result of me buying drive pulleys. My choices were either a Oneway or a Powermatic. I went with the Powermatic 4225 and would do it again in a heart beat. It weighs 910 pounds, so no need for sand bags, it has a variable speed motor, so no Mickey Mouse pulley system that can break. I've had it for 4 years now and can't think of a single bad thing to say about it. So if you like to turn large bowls or large anything, get a Powermatic and don't look bakc.

Bob

Attachments

• P4240040 (755 x 565).jpg
    P4240040 (755 x 565).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 179
  • P4240041 (755 x 565).jpg
    P4240041 (755 x 565).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 176
J

jeff...

I seen BobN's lathe it's sweet - now I know why he wants 20"sq x 6" thick blocks to turn 8-O

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
Mike, you nailed it. Thanks. I really use my lathe about as infrequently as you describe and, in fact, I accumulate shop projects like handles and put them off, then do them all at one time. Other than that projects like the little rocker I just finished for my youngest granddaughter come along that need turned spindles or maybe even straight dowels like in oak.

I made a decision: I have just ordered a Grizzly G0462. Now if me and the driver can just get it off the truck when he climbs up here I'll be in business.

Thanks for all the responses. Oh yeah, now we'll get the "You didn't buy one of THOSE!" stuff.

Stan Messick

jglord

New User
John
There is a Jet 14 x 42 VS lathe at the Raleigh Woodcraft and Tom has put a price of $750 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS