latest relief carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
Been awhile since I posted anything here. Chainsaw carvings were all the rage last year so not much hand carving got done. I will post a couple of them shortly.
This is the last hand carving I finished. I tried some different things with this one. The branch was colored with watercolors only while the rabbit was painted white with acrylics and then washed with an oil glaze. The leaves are a combination of watercolors and oil paints. For some reason it makes me think of Thanksgiving every time I see it.
Hope everyone likes it.
Mark
www.stromcarver.com

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I love the way you keep experimenting w/ different techniques, colors, etc. to get just the right look for each piece. Beautiful work! :eusa_clap

Bill

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very nice. :icon_thum

Mixing oil, acrylic and watercolor on the same piece!
You don't see that very often but the result is worth the effort.

Any chance you'd be willing to expand a bit on your painting technique?
It would make a great article for our library.

pete

MagGeorge

New User
George
Another fantastic carving with great mix of colors. Really looks realistic, the details are just great.

-www.sawblade.com

stave

New User
stave
Thanks for the support with the new direction of painting my work!

Pete, most of the painting techniques would be best explained with examples. Compatibility is the main issue which comes down to which finish follows each finish. By this I mean that acrylic does not stick to oil or that watercolors have to be used on raw wood. It is not that complicated of a procedure once the ground rules are known. Once you know the rules it is all a matter of experimenting. At some point in time I plan on offering a class. Right now I am still learning myself so there is more to be done but I am flattered, I know less than it appears.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors