latest project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Just a completed a stool for kids to use at our church behind the pulpit. My own design, air-dried walnut top and apron with maple legs. Finished with 3 coats Danish oil, then waxed. Showed the natural wood color very nicely.

From design in sketchup...
FBC_stool2skp.jpg

to completion...
IMG_1338.JPG
leg detail...
IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

Involved a few errors that turned into "design considerations".

One thing I learned. I should have used pore filler I think on the open grain of the walnut. When I put the wax on, it settled in the pores and I couldn't get it all out, resulting in white flecks when looked at real close. No one but me has complained yet, but I think pore filler would have helped the final look. Live and learn.

Dan

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Dan That is very Beautiful.

And wow two projects complete very close together, a Nice Table & a Nice Stool.

I actually saved a copy of it as I think I may try to attempt to build one myself. I really like the contrasting wood colors and how sturdy it looks!

WAY TO GO, YOU ROCK!!!

One question, the walnut supports connected to the maple legs: Can you see a little bit of walnut showing through the 90 degree area of the maple legs?

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
yes, you can see a sliver of walnut in the inside corner of the legs. THAT was the error turned "design element". I would probably rethink that component and either dress it up little better or eliminate.

I don't have a planer and I had planed the walnut thicker than the maple. I figured, whats the diff, one's on top and ones the legs. So I left it.

Then before I glued up the 2 pieces of maple that make each leg, I cut the notch the width of the walnut in the top and middle of the maple leg piece to hold the walnut apron and spindle. As soon as I dry fitted it together I realized the walnut would show through :embaresse :eusa_thin :widea: - I didn't want to start machining the legs over - so it became a design element in a new and improved stool!

Always a moving target, the finished product is! :rolleyes:

Dan

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Great job! We might need to add a designation of prolific to your profile :)

Between you and Bob, your little neck of the woods is becoming a place trees get nervous.

Jim

Truefire

New User
Chris
OH man i wouldn't worry too much about the minor space between the legs makeup. If all four are like that is would appear to any onlooker as if you meant to do it. Like most artist's artwork, i have heard them say that you must really learn to roll with the punches because sometimes we learn of our mistakes while in the midst of the project.

Nice work my man, no one would know it unless you pointed it out to them regarding same. It is a nice looking table my man, as Alan said, it is an elegant looking design.

I would love to own that table i don't have any complaints with it.

Chris

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Your design looks great. What color wax did you use? Light or clear colored waxes supposedly leave white specks. I tend to use a dark colored Briwax. Over all your finish looks great though.
:icon_thum
Jerome

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
I just used the only paste wax that BORG sold. probably should have done a little more research. Thanks for the tip!

Dan

dpanda

New User
Dan
Nice design!
I'm surprised nobody has suggested rubbing a little shoe polish over the wax. A little bit of brown or black will cover the white/tan wax, (that you are probably the only one who notices). If you don't have shoe polish crayons work also! With either shoe polish or crayons you'll have to polish it in
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS