Latest fountain pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I know it's not wood, but it sold within 30 minutes of posting on Facebook even without the clip.

I've been refining the shape of my kitless pen bodies for a while and I think I"m finally on to one that I really like. A little more compact when capped, still usable without posting, but very comfortable with the cap posted.

Blue/White ribbon acrylic and black ebonite.

Attachments

• 1610046_838859546140225_1951054957_n.jpg
    1610046_838859546140225_1951054957_n.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 1782115_838859562806890_2026774107_n.jpg
    1782115_838859562806890_2026774107_n.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 1621665_838859576140222_1292364084_n.jpg
    1621665_838859576140222_1292364084_n.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 1016756_838859599473553_879045523_n.jpg
    1016756_838859599473553_879045523_n.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 129

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
That is nice. A pen like that might be used at a desk and placed back in a drawer after being used. No need for a clip.

Roy G

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Thanks for the kudos. One of the more comfortable of my kitless designs by far. I'm going to try to duplicate it tonight for my own use since this one is on it's way to Europe tomorrow.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Carl,
It REALLY is beautiful.

I forgot to ask - you mention that this is one of your "Kitless designs."

What exactly does that mean?
You have to buy the nib and the ink cartridge and the body is threaded on both ends... (or do you thread it too?)
And the cap... is tapped...
I am going to make another leap and guess that the ebonite nib holder is threaded as well?

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
It would have to be sleeved with something for internal structure and couplers added to accept threads. I don't believe bone or antler will take threading. That said, I haven't actually tried so it might be an interesting experiment. Have any spare handy :)

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Carl,
It REALLY is beautiful.

I forgot to ask - you mention that this is one of your "Kitless designs."

What exactly does that mean?
You have to buy the nib and the ink cartridge and the body is threaded on both ends... (or do you thread it too?)
And the cap... is tapped...
I am going to make another leap and guess that the ebonite nib holder is threaded as well?

Hi Hank.

The only purchased part on this pen besides raw materials (arcylic and ebonite) is the nib/feed/housing. All of the threading, external and internal, were done with tap and die. The black sections are ebonite and are drilled and tapped to accept the feed housing. The threads are actually tight enough that I could use it as an eye dropper style, but it does use a cartridge or converter.

The cap/body threads are M12x.75. The front section to body threads are M9x.75. The internal threads for the nib housing are M6.5x.5.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It would have to be sleeved with something for internal structure and couplers added to accept threads. I don't believe bone or antler will take threading. That said, I haven't actually tried so it might be an interesting experiment. Have any spare handy :)

As a matter of fact I do, yes I do. :D

I have a cow shank in the freezer that I've been saving for something. Bone takes threads very well, just maybe not that fine.

i have a chess set made of bone and all the parts screw together. If you want to try it I will boil this bone, clean it and ship it to you to play with.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Would love to give it a try.

The threads I use are definitely fine pitch, but that doesn't mean I can't sleeve it with ebonite for my couplings and have bone as the outer. Might be a fun exercise.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi Hank.

The only purchased part on this pen besides raw materials (arcylic and ebonite) is the nib/feed/housing. All of the threading, external and internal, were done with tap and die. The black sections are ebonite and are drilled and tapped to accept the feed housing. The threads are actually tight enough that I could use it as an eye dropper style, but it does use a cartridge or converter.

The cap/body threads are M12x.75. The front section to body threads are M9x.75. The internal threads for the nib housing are M6.5x.5.
That is too cool!
I think we need a class or demo day! Please?

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
We actually do. Every other month we have a pen turners meeting over in Indian Land which is south of Charlotte. A little far from Greer though. It's not always intersting material, but lately we've been getting into some fun "next level" demos and at some point in the near future we will do some kitless demos.

Not sure we can cover it all in one meeting though. Would have to schedule a day long session.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cool, when is the next meeting?
Do I have to be a member?
Where specifically do you hold the meetings or do they move around?

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Next meeting will probably be March. It hasn't been scheduled yet that I've seen.

It's usually in the same place. We have a local wood worker who has space big enough and has been gracious enough to host us in his shop each time. I have done an off-cycle meeting at my house, but space in my garage is limited so I can't host too many at once.

No need to be a member. We typically do raffle tickets for various things like blanks, gift certificates, etc... and that money goes into the fund to keep the chapter running.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Keep me in mind as soon as you know the date - I will try to schedule a trip that way - I need to get up and see Matt Furjanic as well...

MagGeorge

New User
George
Great looking pen! The color combo is really striking and attractive, and it looks really handy and comfy to use. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS