Late Christmas Project Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
Well it seems I've been on this project for so long that I didn't think I'd ever finish it but we're only 4 weeks behind. the LOML was well pleased with her belated gift and I glad it's finally finished.
the finish is two coats of Tung oil rubbed in then rubbed with a white finish synthetic pad. Then two coats of gloss lacquer were applied in the same manner. The final coat is a Satin lacquer to knock down the sheen.
The prospect box has a hidden lock to release it for the center to reveal three keepsake boxes.
The upper sunburst carvings slide to either side to reveal hidden compartments behind them.
Thanks to all for the help on the Gooseneck molding and I'm up for Critiques Good or Bad!
Smitty

f4117d10-a66f-4e9e-a3c4-15524638b4d0.Large.jpg
bb9999da-78cc-4dd0-8f09-06bf0c6aee57.Large.jpg

f82c4701-b7b5-4a44-ab89-a0d1a779c363.Large.jpg

M

McRabbet

Reid -- That is an absolutely gorgeous secretary! When you get it installed in the house, be sure to get some good photos taken and submit them to Fine Woodworking to go into their project gallery. It is very deserving of the broad exposure to FWW readers. Excellent work and worth the extra time you took.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Marvelous! Simply marvelous!

I know how long something like that would take me and I would be so tired of looking at it in my shop that I would hate the thing. Outstanding job, and you have a tremendous amount of patience!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Reid, I haven't seen anything like that. The hidden drawers and secret compartments are keen.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Amen to all the compliments already posted. A very professional looking piece of work--------and a lot of work it is. It is destined to be an heirloom.

Jerry

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Reid - that is spectacular! Ditto the comments by others; especially Rob's advice re submitting it to FWW.

Scott

DavidF

New User
David
I'm speechless! that is an amazing looking piece, well done. It must have taken forever! or it would me anyway. What wood is that?

Are the larger side panels etc, sheet goods that are then lipped or solid wood?

Great job..

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Those are Beautiful-hope to someday equal that type of workmanship!! -- Mike M.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: clamps, clamps, why do I never have enough clamps!

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
I apologize for the late reply and I thank everyone for the comments on the desk. The piece is solid Cherry ,no Ply, and very few mechanical fasteners. after we get it set in place I'll take some more shots and the advise on the FWW Gallery will be submitted. We roughly figured about 800 hours in construction. When I get some extra time I'll post the construction pic's on my Web Site. Glad everyone liked it!
Thanks again for all the comments,
Smitty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS