Large platter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I just finished roughing out a chip and dip plater from a nice big leaf maple blank that I got from Mike Smith a fellow North Carolinian. This blank was covered with a thick coat of wax which had the grain and burl spots unseen by me until I turned the wax away. All I can say is WOW what nice grain this blank had. It started out right at 22" and ended up around 20" once I got it round. It is the largest dia. blank that I've ever turned. I didn't put any detail in the rough out, but hope to put a bit in it when I turn it to finish thickness. If the dip bowl warps to much as it dries I will have to turn it away and be happy with a nice large platter. My son had to get into the act in the last picture. He is a normal size 8 year old to give some reference to the size of the platter.
Jack
DSC00215.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Jack,

You are the master of understatement. That is an enormous platter. Looks like the shop assistant his pretty happy to be working with his dad. Beautiful job.....per your usual.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Jack
Great Work...Hugh undertaking. How did you secure the blank while you were turning the inside. Did you have a faceplate inside for turning the bottom, then swap to a tenon on the bottom to turn the inside or what? I can't tell from the pics.

Luke:icon_scra

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice work Jack. You always manage to get some of the sweetest pieces of wood~
Kinda like Christmas every time you get into a piece and see what really is in there!

Loved seeing the shop foreman in there. Outstanding to see him in eye protection! Too easy to not think about the safety of our "assistants and visitors". Knowing you and your shop teacher awareness I was not at all surprised by this. Thank you for for the unintentional reminder for the rest of us!!

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks for the kind words everyone. My son does enjoy being around the shop and I do try and always keep him safe. Luke, I used a Oneway Big Bite in my chuck to drive this blank for turning the bottom and turned a tenon around 5" in dia which fits my #4 stronghold jaws to turn the inside. The big bite works great.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors