Lapping plate for Arkansas stones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I just picked up pair of nice thick (1") Arkansas stones (soft and black surgical) from Halls Pro Edge that need a flattening (mostly on the soft Arkansas).

Is this a job for a diamond lapping plate or can I get by with a flat surface and some sandpaper? I am not sure how rough this process is on a diamond lapping plate but is there anyone in the Apex area that would lend / rent me some time on theirs if it is feasible?

If I go the flat surface and sandpaper route, what grit do I need for the soft and which grit for the surgical?

Thanks!!

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Another vote for silicon carbide sandpaper. Depending on how dished the stone is, I'd probably start at a fairly coarse grit. I own the entire DMT line up, but for this I'd go with wet/dry sandpaper.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I lapped my Ouachita stones with dry emery cloth and wet/dry paper. My soft stone was badly dished, so I started with 50 grit emery cloth (dry), followed by 80, and then to the wet/dry silicon carbide. I finished them up with 220 wet/dry. I went to 400 on the fine stone, but don't think it was needed.

If you start with relatively coarse dry sheet, it is very easy to see your progress.

Main thing is to wash the stones thoroughly with detergent after you lap them to get all the grit off them. After lapping, cleaning, they may take a bit more oil the first couple uses, but they are back to normal after that.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors