Laminar Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
I have always admired the segmented bowl and vase turnings accomplished by the many fine wood-turners in our NCWW association, and often thought about ways to achieve some of aspects of those designs on flat surfaces. I explored inlay, intarsia and other options, but it wasn't until a woodworker friend in NY brought "the book" to my attention, that I recognized the potential of laminated designs in solid wood surfaces.

I'll try to be brief and will be glad to try and answer any questions you might have if you get involved with this technique.
WARNING: What you are about to see is VERY time consuming, wood usage intensive, and highly addictive !!!!:gar-Bi

It's called Laminar or Geocentric design. Like the name, it starts as laminations of strips of wood..BUT the laminate must be perfectly symmetrical about the center line, with corresponding strips on either side of center being exactly the same thickness (do all your planing of different pieces at the same time without budging the planer settings). I found a book by Clarence Rannefeld on this that explains it in great detail, it's out of print, but you can find places selling it for $185 in paperback new :eek:. I found a copy on one of the Amazon seller sites used, but in excellent condition for $38.. so if you want one, look around thoroughly and you'll probably find one at a reasonable price..

DSCN0701.JPG

These are the basics. Start with the "laminate"..any combination of woods you like but glue them up as above

IMG_05283.JPG

You will need to build a jig, something like this..

DSCN0688.JPG

The jig in my case has four setting angles for the fence,... fixed position with threaded inserts..22.5, 30, 45 and 60 degrees. Note the two clamps and the two (hard to see) plastic triangles attached to a moveable fixture at the back (which actually is the front :eek:)

Place the laminate in the jig and angle cut it at whatever angle you want, put in a stop block, so all the cutoffs are exactly the same width.. You are not using the plastic triangles at this point. The width of the cutoff is obviously part of the pattern design later. You will wind up with a bunch of cut-off that look like this

IMG_05295.JPG

Note that the long initial laminates just got a lot shorter and fatter. If you look close you can see that I've numbered each one, because you are now going to flip over every other one, and you get the best continuity of pattern with adjacent cut-offs. You just flip them and glue them.

IMG_05305.JPG

You've created a "zig-zag pattern (what John W. referred to as 'chevrons")..that the author calls Generation 1. Now comes the tricky part. You need to cut down through the new laminate strip at exactly the center line of either the ascending or descending slope of each zig-zag. To locate that center you need to very carefully measure the distance from where either segment changes direction. It's your choice, but once you decided to cut through the up slope or the down slope you have to stick with it. Subtract the saw kerf from the distance you just measured and divide by two. Make up two strips of wood exactly the width you just calculated and place them on either side of the blade. Line up the edges of the plastic triangles exactly on the edge of those strips. You will use their edges as the reference lines as you slide the Gen 1 piece under them. You need a clamping arrangement that holds the cutoff in place as you retract the blade from cutting it.

IMG_05334.JPG

Again number each cut-off sequentially like this

IMG_05348.JPG

and then you flip every other one

IMG_05356.JPG

Now glue these up. You will note that things just got shorter and fatter again.

IMG_05376.JPG

and trim the edges wherever you want as long as it's the same on both sides.

IMG_05387.JPG

You have now made a Generation2 laminate. Just repeat the whole process for Gen3...the higher Gens get very short...and like I said at the start, you can go through a lot of wood

The author has a table in the book. With four cutting angles and a Gen2 laminate there are 48 possible pattern shapes..and an infinite number if you remember you had a choice on the width of the first cut-offs..making them wider or narrower just makes the same pattern bigger or smaller.

If we go to a Gen3 the number is 384 possible patterns, Gen 4 is 3,072, and Gen 5 is 24,578.:gar-La; I haven't done the math but I assume he's right.

Here are few Gen2 designs I did while experimenting with this technique

DSCN06531.JPG

The little table I displayed in the first post is a Gen2 with both cutting angles set at 45 degrees.

Copy_of_DSCN0572.JPG

I'm going to leave it at that for now. You turners might be interested in Rannefeld's
method for putting these kind of designs into bowls, vases etc. He goes into pretty good detail on this.

Don

Last edited:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Re: OK...How I Did It !!

Awesome tutorial and pictures. Looks like it could make for a fun (and frustrating) project. Thanks for posting.

Red

thsb

New User
Tim

that is interesting. I won't be touching that kind of thing for quite a while, but it really is cool.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Very impressive.
Now I gotta go find my glasses and look at the pics again......
Thanks for the tutorial. Anybody wanna make this into an Article?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Thanks for the tutorial Don :thumbs_up
I never was any good at guessing the side of a shape when it was turned but I did manage to get the hang of it eventually. However my eyes get all crooked looking at yours :D

Bryan S

Bryan

Great tutorial, thank you for posting. :eusa_clap

You are right about it being time consuming, I can see that. I like how the one takes on a 3D effect. When I first saw it in your initial thread, I thought the table had ridges on it.

Great job. :notworthy:

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve

Don,

If you would like to make this into an article, contact one of the Admins or the Webmaster (FlyingRon) and I think they can create an article out of your post.

Steve H.

DaveD

New User
Dave

All I can say is WOW! My hats off to you, Sir!!! 1st for ever attempting this, 2nd for being successful in doing it, and 3rd, and most important, for sharing the detailsl with us so others can take on the challenge.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Very creative! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I just love those geometric designs.

Check out Brit Box Maker's website. He has done a number of optical illusion and Escheresque cutting board designs- really drives your brain and eyes crazy. Just another item on me ever-growing "to do" list!

Touchwood

New User
Don

Exactly what I was thinking, Joe. Whew! :wconfused:

Don, thanks for posting this tutorial. And I like Dennis' idea to make this an article. How do we do that?

Bill

Bil,

I took your suggestion and PM'd FlyingRon. Is he the corrrect contact?

Don

JohnW

New User
John

Dang Don.....That is impressive. Thanks so much for taking the time to splain it. I'm in the middle of a large cabinet build and when that's done....I'm gonna try a few.

Again....thanks.

Touchwood

New User
Don

Dang Don.....That is impressive. Thanks so much for taking the time to splain it. I'm in the middle of a large cabinet build and when that's done....I'm gonna try a few.

Again....thanks.

Glad you liked it John. When you get going, give me a shout..there are a few details I could expand on.

Don

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Article or not my eyes are still all crooked and stuff. How will I ever look at flat wood the same way again...? Now that's the question to be answered. Them spinny making wood dizzy folks got nothing on you Don :)

TBradley190

New User
Tim

All I can say is WOW! My hats off to you, Sir!!! 1st for ever attempting this, 2nd for being successful in doing it, and 3rd, and most important, for sharing the detailsl with us so others can take on the challenge.

+1 Very impressive!!!

Touchwood

New User
Don

Hi Folks

Thought you might like to see this. A woodworker friend in upstate NY created this much larger table using the Geocentric technique

kodak_april_158-1.JPG

Don

Pop Golden

New User
Pop

OK DON ! Now you've done it. I've been at woodworking for over 60 years and I wouldn't touch this project with a ten foot pole. At my age (72) 1. - I'm running out of time. 2 - I can't see worth a dang. 3 - No patience with fighting wood that fights back.

ME GO NOW
Pop

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

STOP! Don...I'm having flashbacks :rotflm:

I think it was designs like this, that made the Mayans give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS