Laminar Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Re: OK...How I Did It !!

STOP! Don...I'm having flashbacks :rotflm:

I think it was designs like this, that made the Mayans give up!

Yeah..a lot of my early attempts went extinct too. Some of them looked more "Inca-ish", or just downright crazy :gar-Bi

Touchwood

New User
Don
Re: OK...How I Did It !!

One thing I didn't mention was that you can probably get away with running a Gen 1 laminate across a jointer to flatten it (you unavoidably get glue smears around top and bottom) , as long as the first cut isn't to steep 9(like 45 max). But that's about it !!:(

With the Gen 2 design the grains on individual pieces are running in every direction, and you'll tear out for sure.

I used to have one of these

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool...rmax-closed-frame-drum-sander-shoppro-25.aspx,

but my shop is small and with the splayed out legs/casters I was always tripping over it. Plus my dust collection system wasn't strong enough to suck up the sanding debris and I had a hard time with burning. I sold it to a returning Iraq War Marine a few years ago (for a very very low price).

So I needed something to flatten the laminates with and built this: (it is NOT a thicknesser, but running both sides of the laminates across that thing produces an acceptable thickness control). Plus because the standard Klingspoor strips attach to velcro on the drum, there is a small air space between the sandpaper and the drum with spinning centrifical force..so the paper stays cool..ie. no burning...plus all the dust is dropped into the vee trough below and an ordinary shopvac takes care of it. It literally produces zero dust in the air...and yes those are $5 inline skate wheels on the hold-downs.

IMG_04755.JPG

Here's a YouTube describing how it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj9CkBLHuG4

My total out-of -pocket was less than $500.

If there's interest I can do a separate post on it

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS