Kreg Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

John.P.Burns

New User
John
Hello,

I've never done pocket joints before. I am looking at purchasing a pocket joint jig and from everything I've seen, the Kreg Jig seems to be pretty good. My only concern is that it is a little pricey. Is the Master Kit worth the money, or would anyone recomend another kit or jig? Thanks for any advice up front.

-John

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
John,

I built an entertainment center and used pocket hole screws exclusively. I used almost 300 screws on this project. You can see a picture of my entertainment center at:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39495&highlight=Entertainment+Center

...or in my photo gallery. There were two places that I did not use them, the raised panel doors and the back. I purchased the K3 system and I would recommend it. Recently there was a thread about preventing joint creep when using pocket hole screws. The two primary reasons that I chose to use them was they make assemblying a project very quick and the joint is strong. Good luck.

Steve

TBradley190

New User
Tim
Agreed :icon_thum I bought the original Kreg jig in 1994 and has proved to be indespensable in my shop. As a matter of fact, I don't know how I would build face frames if I didn't have one....jm2cents

Tim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
It's worth it. When it comes to building cabinets, I use it for everything - carcass, face frame, even attaching the face frame to the carcass. And the mini Kreg jig is great for furniture repair.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
And there is a big difference between the Kreg and the knock offs. If you are building book cases and cabinets they worth every penny.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the K3 master kit, Use it all the time. It makes for a very quick and strong joint. It also makes it easy to measure parts to length, no joinery to figure in to the calculations.

I'm in the process of building a miter saw station right now using pocket screws for the whole thing. I am between table saws at the moment and didn't want to try to make a bunch of tongues and grooves and rabbets and dadoes, etc. on the router table. No need with the pocket screw system.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use mine with my Domino to pull the Domino joints together. Strong like Bull!:icon_thum

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
There are two kind of pocket screw jig owners. Those that own Kreg's, and those that wished they did! I have two of the original aluminum ones, two K-2000's, a small portable one, several mini's (cheapest way to buy replacement bits), plus some others. The K-2000 is similar to current jigs except drill guide block can't be used with portable base. You are welcome to borrow one and get your feet wet in the pocket screw pool. Bruce

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
There are two kind of pocket screw jig owners. Those that own Kreg's, and those that wished they did! I have two of the original aluminum ones
If money is the only limiting factor...Harbor Freight makes an aluminum jig for $70 that looks pretty darn solid. Throw in a 20% off coupon and it's a bargain. The couple of reviews I've seen on Sawmill Creek have been very positive, and the reviews on the HF web site are also good. I took it out of the package at the local store and I was very tempted to buy it, but since I already have the Kreg...

Just trying to make the decision even more difficult :) :tool:

BWSmith

New User
BW
We use the 100$ model(? model #) enough to justify its purchase.They can be extremely useful in certain applications.........but,can also be a sort of "crutch" for more traditional joinery.Try to find where they fit in within the scope of your work.

Used one of the co's "bench" models(3k $$)for a year or so.It was fast,I'll give them that.But was less than perfect in a cpl key areas(at least to me).Their pnuematic hold downs were pathetically undersized.......along with the mounts used for them.They'd flex noticably.Even the fence was "underwhelming".Just thought it curious from a design standpoint?Did the engineers ever try it before putting it on market?Just sayin,BW

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
+1 K3/K4 or get the Kreg Jr. for only $40, just be prepared for the projects to take a little longer with it, but it is just as effective.

Asheville Hardware

New User
Asheville Hardware
Hello,

I've never done pocket joints before. I am looking at purchasing a pocket joint jig and from everything I've seen, the Kreg Jig seems to be pretty good. My only concern is that it is a little pricey. Is the Master Kit worth the money, or would anyone recomend another kit or jig? Thanks for any advice up front.

-John

The Master Kit is definitely worth it. Very versatile for almost any situation that you will need to use pocket screws.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS