Knife Tray Plans ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Anyone know where I can get plans for one of these:
tray4.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how the handle is attached and how to allow for movement in the bottom panel.

pete

nelsone

New User
Ed
Don't have any plans Pete, but I would set the bottom into dados. Any idea how big the piece is? You may not have to worry about the much movement if the bottom isn't that wide. I would also glue the handle into dados. You could possibly add a couple through mortises if you think you would need the extra strength.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Handle could be joined with long dovetailed dadoes. Same on the bottom across the end grain.

Go

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I think I have seen that plan in one of my books. Give me until tomorrow and I will see if I can find it for you. Lorraine

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Just found one, will see if I can send it tonight. Can you send me your email address, I will scan and send it to you. Lorraine

Robert

New User
Robert
There is one featured in the Woodsmith magazine, Vol 31/No 182 that shows the divider being dadoed into the ends and screwed from the bottom.

Another variation is in 'The Woodwrights Apprentice' by none other than Roy Underhill being used as a tool tray. But the divider does not go all the way to the bottom. In it he uses a notch/"mortice" in the end, (square hole in the end panels), the divider has the 'tenon' on the bottom portion. But the wood used here is thicker than I think you're planning to use.

Good luck.

robert

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone.
Now I'm trying to work out the compound angle dovetails.
There's an writeup in FWW #158 Master Class. I have an online subscription but it doesn't appear to be online.

pete

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks to everyone.
Now I'm trying to work out the compound angle dovetails.
There's an writeup in FWW #158 Master Class. I have an online subscription but it doesn't appear to be online.

pete

I **might** have FWW 158 ... I'll take a peek tomorrow for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors