KMI Penturning basics class

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Saturday, I took the time to drive down to Wilmington to visit the Kids Making It project, and teach a penturning class. This was the first class I have ever taught in woodworking. Matter of fact, it's the first thing wood related I feel I am good enough to teach. Most of the day was spent teaching the instructors of the KMI program the basics in penturning, tips, tricks, assembly, and finishing techniques. They were really excited and did a fantastic job. In the end, everyone walked away with a pen!

The class went well, and I believe they will be able to pass the knowledge onto their kids.

Thanks guys, I had a great time teaching the class, and hope I didn't stumble too much.

Now, before any of you guys *cough* (DL) *cough* (DaveO) *cough* start yellin for pictures, I forgot my camera. Never the less, Jimmy had his camera and pictures WILL be posted soon.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_naug :eusa_naug :eusa_naug Forgot your camera, shame on you. It is awesome that you offered to teach pen making. I am sure that we'll see some beautiful pens for sale at KMI really soon.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Clay

What a great gesture!
The effect of your efforts will bring pride, smiles, and $$$$$ to the KMI kids when pens appear in their retail store. :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see the pixs!

Sapwood

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That was really cool Clay. Thanks for taking the time to teach the class for them. It sounds like they have a really neat program down there and I know the kids will enjoy turning pens for profit.

What.....no pix.:slap: LOL

D L

cskipper

Cathy
Clay, that was a great thing to do. I'm sure the kids enjoyed learning and it it will be a good money maker for their store. Thanks for donating your time and expertise!

frankson

New User
Jeff
Yo'all (*)

Should be no surprise to any of you, Clay's a natural...did a great job (group overview, one-on-one, products, why's, how to's, not to's, etc).

Our senior KID is 19 years old (co-teaches our summer KIDS camp), and had the rare opportunity to go camping for the weekend....could'nt make the class. However, he and a couple of other guys and gals love working on the lathes...they be naturals for pen turing.

If anyone is in the Wilmy area, stop by and visit. We're open M-F 9-4 (if not later) and we're usually in the shop 9-1 SAT based on kids showing up and of course, volunteers to open/man shop.

Jeff (Frankson)

* - hey, I'm from NYC

oldnick

New User
christian delciotto
Hi Clay,
From all of KMI who enjoyed your class, Thank you.........:eusa_clap.
We did enjoy having you here and the instruction, the "do and don't" were great. It must have been difficult to keep your serious around us jokesters and clowns....:lol:..But you did it and it was great :icon_thum.
You were right, the CA finish was dificult to do but I think I managed to do a ok looking pen :eusa_thin.
Thanks again and please come to see us when you are in town....:eusa_clap.

Christian.

Attachments

• pen 007.jpg
    pen 007.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 204

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Christian, that's a fine looking pen. I can see that you have applied the Clowman signature wire burnings, a very nice touch. BTW, nice curly Maple, I made my first and only :oops: pen out of it, and still enjoy using it.
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Hey! That turned out really really nice! I was bummed I didn't get to stay long enough to see it assembled!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Beautiful pen Christian . . . and that's your first one ;-)

Hmmm, Clay class + talented student = fine woodworking :eusa_clap

Sapwood

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great job, Clay. Thanks for making such a worthwhile investment of your time! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Christian, that's a fine looking pen you made. I guess the proof's in the pudding. Clay must have gotten a few things across!

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS