Klingspor Discounts - staff thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Please do me a favor and hold off your replys to that thread and put them here instead. I would like to discuss this with you guys first

Monty

New User
Monty
Well, I see it as no different than being in one of the local clubs. I am a member of the local woodworker's club and the local woodturner's club, so I am already on their POS database. (That's "POINT of SALE", just to avoid any confusion ;)). That's how they get their database for marketing material, etc - that's how they do business and I have no problem with that.

It does raise the question of how we manage our member list. As I understand it, once a person is "DQ" they stay "DQ", right? Should we renew that somehow, maybe once each year? I don't know if that's even necessary - probably Coleman will be happy with as many names as we can give him. But, since we're not paying dues or any of the other things a "club" typically does, we may have to have some way of maintaining a fairly accurate list of who our "members" really are.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
:lol:
It does raise the question of how we manage our member list. As I understand it, once a person is "DQ" they stay "DQ", right? Should we renew that somehow, maybe once each year? I don't know if that's even necessary - probably Coleman will be happy with as many names as we can give him. But, since we're not paying dues or any of the other things a "club" typically does, we may have to have some way of maintaining a fairly accurate list of who our "members" really are.
As far as being once DQ, always DQ, that's not what I intended. It is what's happened so far becuase I never got around to writing the code about visit frequency, which was going to be the basis for DQ. I will be writing that code shortly.

But anyway, about update frequency. We need to update more frequently. Assume I sent the list tonight (i'm not:lol: ) and tomorrow you became DQ. You wouldn't be able to get the discount for a year:BangHead: not much of an incentative.:lol: Any way, Coleman and I agreed to updates every 3 months. They would show whose new, whose been deleted and whose is still on. But after thinking it over, I think once a month would be better. I'll try and talk to him again tomorrow to expand on some more details and I will report back to this group first.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
One of the main reasons, I wanted to discuss this topic here rather than the main forums, is one other of concern. The responses have been positive on the basis that Klingspor already has most of that info anyway if you ever purchased from them.

But what everybody may have overlooked is the that WE HAVE the info. It is all in our Database. There is no way to guarantee that someone couldn't hack us. It doubtful and wouldn't be easy but it could be done. The same is true of Klingspor, of course:lol:

I wanted to bring this up, not becuase I'm concerned, becuase I'm not for myself. But, a long time ago there was a lot concern and paranoia about the info we collected. This seems to have erroded but I wanted to check with you guys.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok. one point for discussion. Currently, a person becomes discount qualified, but we just refuse to print the card if they haven't filled in their Photo ID name.

What I'd like to if we go ahead with klingspor, is say and Code that you are not DQ unless you have filled in bothe the name and street address. My reason for this is two fold. First, We have a consistency of policy but even more important to me, is that I don't have to do different code for discount program.

Monty

New User
Monty
The way it is set up currently, if someone who is DQ does not enter their full name, then they effectively "opt out" of the Klingspor deal. Could you just add the address field to that and not have to change any other code? We don't need the address for anything else other than Klingspor, as far as I know. I really don't know if people would object to losing their "DQ" status (and access to those deals on the forum) if they just want to opt out of the Klingspor deal...

T

toolferone

You know, in all reality anybody who is smart enough to be on a forum must realize that there name and address is already in tons of computer data bases, so whats one more if it has a more direct pleasant payback. It is impossible to be off the grid in this day and age.

MikeH

New User
Mike
You know, in all reality anybody who is smart enough to be on a forum must realize that there name and address is already in tons of computer data bases, so whats one more if it has a more direct pleasant payback. It is impossible to be off the grid in this day and age.

I agree with Tom. Our names are in so many other places our site is the least of my worries. I say we move forward.

M

McRabbet

Every entry in the other thread says that giving up ones address for the discount is not a big deal. I agree, but they should be kept secure like e-mail addresses. If we add a feature to capture addresses, I recommend that it not be associated just with the Klingspor discount because it is only a matter of time before some other reason to need it will arise. I brought up the Klingspor 10% Club discount with the membership of the Western NC Woodworkers Association a few months ago and everyone agreed that it was not a problem, so we registered our member roster with Klingspor. Several members have benefited and I do not know of any problems. I agree that the DQ status should be updated monthly.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The way it is set up currently, if someone who is DQ does not enter their full name, then they effectively "opt out" of the Klingspor deal. Could you just add the address field to that and not have to change any other code? We don't need the address for anything else other than Klingspor, as far as I know. I really don't know if people would object to losing their "DQ" status (and access to those deals on the forum) if they just want to opt out of the Klingspor deal...
Actually, if they don't fill in their full name, NONE of the cards will print. Also, I'm always getting PM about the fact they are DQ but can't print their cards.:BangHead: That's why I would like to make the whole DQ status dependent on name and address. I think it is simpler than explaining "if you fill in this, you get that but if you fill that you only get such and such." Plus it makes my coding changes simpler to have a consistant formula.:eusa_danc

Monty

New User
Monty
Gotcha - I say go for it. I have not seen any objections to it and I have no problem with it, as long as it's not displayed publicly.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Easy trumps security since the info requested is already easily obtainable. As Mike stated, I'm extremely cautious about certain info . . . but name, address, and phone number are essential public. Heck, most of NC has online county GIS access that enables one to review every detail of anyones home, land, tax records, topography, zoning, and address details :roll:

So go for it Steve, and thanks for your concern and effort :icon_thum

Roger

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I am good with it all. It would be the members choice to opt in or out. Like a lot of responders have said their info is in the phone book anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS