Killing Bugs in Green Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I recently brought in a red oak log that has very small "bug" holes in it. They are scattered but the log is not riddled with them. I have been told it is evidence of powder post beatles.:crybaby2:

I understand that if you heat the wood at 160 degrees for 3-4 hours it will kill the beatles and any larvae that may be in the wood. The problem is having an oven large enough to handle the size pieces I would need.:BangHead:

Question: Would boiling or steaming the pieces do the same job? Since 212 degrees is boiling it seems as though it should. Maybe some of you folks have had a similiar situation and know the answer.:eusa_thin

Jerry

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jerry,

Anything as hot as steam or boiling water certainly kill the critters, but you have to worry about what the water will do to the wood. It could make it swell, warp, etc.

Ray

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Are you trying to kill the insects in the whole log? Thats a tall order. It may not be PP beetle at all. there are multiple species in this area that like sap wood including the emerald ash borer (yes they like all species) If you are trying to kill them in the log it will not be very effective. The only real way to insure the bugs are dead is have it saw and kiln dried. NEVER use lindane. Borax is spotty in its effectivity in killing bugs. HEAT is the only thing that is guaranteed to kill a PPB. It requires wood core temperature to be at > 135 degrees for 24 hours.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Kyle,

Thanks for the info. You had a note in your post about never using lindane. I knew it was toxic but didn't know much else about it. Since we all worry about bugs in our wood and how to get rid of them, I thought I'd look up lindane on the net. Here's what I found: FAQs - What is Lindane Anyway? After reading that, I don't want to be in the same county as that stuff.

Ray

J

jeff...

I really don't know of anyother way to rid a log of bugs other than to have it sawing into boards then heating the boards to atleast 130 for atleast 24 hours. Besides wormy wood fetches some pretty high $ in the market.

just my two cents

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Jerry,

Anything as hot as steam or boiling water certainly kill the critters, but you have to worry about what the water will do to the wood. It could make it swell, warp, etc.

Ray

Ray----------I am working with green wood to begin with so the moisture is not an issue. I have to let the chair parts dry after roughing out anyway. I just need more moisture in legs and loops than I do stretchers and spindles.

My theory is that the temp of steam, 212 degrees, it may take less time to do the job as compared to dry heat at 160 degrees. What I do not have is facts to back up the theory.:eusa_thin

Jerry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Are you trying to kill the insects in the whole log? Thats a tall order. It may not be PP beetle at all. there are multiple species in this area that like sap wood including the emerald ash borer (yes they like all species) If you are trying to kill them in the log it will not be very effective. The only real way to insure the bugs are dead is have it saw and kiln dried. NEVER use lindane. Borax is spotty in its effectivity in killing bugs. HEAT is the only thing that is guaranteed to kill a PPB. It requires wood core temperature to be at > 135 degrees for 24 hours.

Kyle--------I am using the log to rive out chair parts so the physical size is really close to finish size after roughing out the stock. The thickest material would be the legs and stretchers, app. 2" diameter at the largest point. All the spindles are 1" diameter or less. None of the parts are over 30" long. None of the parts are a huge mass. I plan to stay away from chemical treatment!!!

As Jeff mentioned, most people like the appearance of the worm holes. I just do not want a chair to be dust a few years down the road.

Jerry

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I was wondering how you plan to steam long boards? The only idea I have is using a long piece of PVC pipe with end caps (vented, of course) and then piping in the steam. Even so, a piece of PVC that big will be $$$$.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I was wondering how you plan to steam long boards? The only idea I have is using a long piece of PVC pipe with end caps (vented, of course) and then piping in the steam. Even so, a piece of PVC that big will be $$$$.

Chris---------there will be no long boards. Longest I will have is 30". I already have a 6" diameter PVC steaming chamber and all the steam producing apparatus.:)

Jerry

dozer

Mike
I would use an eye dropper, gasoline, and a bic lighter. I got rid of the fire ants in my back yard this way (minus the eye dropper). On a side not 3 gallons of gas is a little bit to much but I did get rid of the ants. The down side is I still have not filled in all the creators I left and there are still a lot of bare spots in my grass, and now my wife keeps the gas can empty all the time. Like I'm dumb enough to burn my eye brows off doing that again. I know next time to pour about a 40 foot long path leading away for the holes I filled with gas and light it from there.

But I have to admit I didn't have any problem with bugs this year :-D

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Dozer,

I got laugh out of that..Just dont mix too many brewskys in with that combination :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors