Kids tool set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am looking for a good kids tool set. Has to have a hammer, maybe a saw, maybe a prybar, and a few other things, not completely sure what. I would like it to have a case, but that isn't an absolute. Primary thing is it has to be a real set of tools (not plastic) just kid sized. Anyone know where to get a decent one locally or on the net?

gator

George
Corporate Member
Might be just as cheap to go to Harbor Freight and put your own kit together.

George

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
When I was a kid (and the earth was very young) my father gave me a Handy Andy Tool kit. Hammer, screw driver, saw, not sure what else. It was in a metal case... which I think was green. Don't know if you can get them any more... it was a long time ago.

Ray

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
When I was a kid (and the earth was very young) my father gave me a Handy Andy Tool kit. Hammer, screw driver, saw, not sure what else. It was in a metal case... which I think was green. Don't know if you can get them any more... it was a long time ago.

Ray

Ray,

:-D I may be dating myself, but I had one of those also I even cut my hand with the saw. I don't think any body has a kit like that anymore.

Jimmy:)

newtonc

New User
jak
My father had built me a wood tool box when I was a kid.It was pretty much an open tool box with a 2"(estimate) thick dowel for a handle running the legnth of it.At the time I couldn't even lift it.I was probably 5 or so.
And of course it was filled with real tools.Small scale of course.A tack hammer,torpedo level,6' tape,small hand saw and all the wrenches and screwdrivers.
Pretty much everything with the exception of a drill.
I loved it and used it all the time.I believe it helped lead me to my profession.
With the exception of the tool box and handsaw,I still have everything today.And I use it all as well.But the tape measure is already my 4.5 year old daughter's personal tape.
So I vote for put your own tool box together.It worker for me.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I also agree about building a kit, I have been building one for my two girls.
An eggbeater drill is good, but if they're a little younger you can also use a push style, like a yankee screwdriver, drill. these seem to work well for me. My girls are 5 and 7.

Jimmy:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
A note of caution...

Several folks have mentioned a saw for the kit. As I recall, mother confiscated the whole Handy Andy tool kit just after I tried to saw the leg off of a hall chair.

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think I am going to do a combination. Get a basic set and add to it. I have found a few online, and none include the eggbeater drill which I think will be a good addition.

I am already tasked to build a kids workbench for my daughter (by my daughter), so I hope to have the tools in advance so she can help build it.

As for the safety thing, I am totally on board. She will not be able to use any of the tools when I am not around.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I like the "optional" fire extinguishers! Could come in handy! Teaches another skill, "firefighting in the shop!"

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Years ago I bought my son a tool kit. Came in a neat box made with box joints. It opened in the middle like one of the fancy wall tool cabinets. It had lots of neat tools- but all were CRAP!!!! - two steps down from HF!!!

My recommendation, like a bunch of others is to make a box and buy the tools. You can leave spaces open for mounting future tool purchases. I made a small bench with a vise, too.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Mike, I like that design. I got a couple of doors from Doug Robinson that I was going to enclose it with, and I think with this design I am set.

Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS