Kayak build, next stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have finally gotten back to building the kayak. Being 18 feet long , it took up most of the floor space in my shop and knowing that it will take quite a while; I move it to my side porch. The frame is all finished and alligned and ready to receive the 5/8 inch strips.

This is the set up of the shaper to run the cove and bead edge. The power feeder will be a great help and also give a consistent feed rate thus a much better quality of cut. The cutters are 1 1/4 inch bore and make very quick work of the job.

kayak_build_014.jpg

kayak_build_012.jpg

These are the strips of cedar cut and planned to 5/8 x1/4 and ready to get cove and bead edging. All 150 of them and a real PITA. Glad this part is done

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your right the PITA part is over, your strips look great. The coming up is the fun part - enjoy. Are you using any contrasting or accent strips? Phil

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That is awesome Dino! You've got an impressive setup there. I look forward to following this thread.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Awesome start to the project. I'm looking for a set of plans for a 6-7' one-man paddle boat. Don't think it would be as hard as the kayak, but it would be great for pond fishing.

Gary K

New User
Gary
Looking good Dino. I have been on vacation, haven't touched my daughters kayak. I did attend the Woodenboat Show in Mystic, CT and got some paddling in. Time to get back to my build.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Dino, it doesn't look like you need this, it's just FYI. Cape Fear Community College in Wilm. is having their annual wooden boat show on 7/25. They usually have quite a display of kayaks made from all different materials, as well as other types of wooden boats. The builders (students) and instructors are around to answer questions. It's quite interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS