Just thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Yesterday afternoon I was playing hooky from the office trying to get some work done in the shop when a power failure occured. I was using all hand tools at the workbench when the lights went out so it shouldn't have been a problem but I decided it was too dark for me to see how to finish the work so I locked up and went back to the office. On the way back I got to thinking that in the room that my bench is in there are 7 windows and the walls and ceiling are painted white yet I thought it was too dark but what did the craftsmen do in the days before electricity. All the reproductions of old shops seem to dark old shed like structures. I quess this is just another way we are spoiled.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't know about you, but I started having more trouble seeing in low light after I turned 50.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Some of those old shops were dark. Burning lights presented a danger to all the shavings.

In many of the plates I've seen, those shops had massive open doors and giant windows.

In reading some of Adam Cherubini's writings, I also think there was a greater use of task lighting instead of shop lighting.

To follow on what mike said, not so many live to 50 back then, so their eye sight never got to get bad.

Jim

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Two birds with one stone.

led-reading-glasses.jpg

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've got the glasses and still can't see. Hmmmm...Maybe it is the 64 year old eyes..........that would make sense as nothing else works properly :gar-Cr

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
At 55 I had cataract surgery on my right eye. Everything was great. For distance, my repaired eye did the bulk of the work. For closeup work my other eye took over. Then, at 65 (this year) I had cataract surgery on the other eye. Now I can see a fly from 300 yards away, but I can't see squat in the shop. I need real strong reading glasses for extreme closeup work - not quite as strong to see 1 foot away - and weaker ones for normal closeup work. When I go to the Borg, I can't read any of the labels since I never remember to bring reading glasses with me. My newly implanted lenses have a prescription that allows me to see perfectly at great distances. I wish they had given me lenses that would allow me to see well up close. It would be easier to wear glasses when driving.
On the other hand, 50 years ago cataracts were not able to be corrected at all - I have nothing to complain about.

Ernie

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
At 55 I had cataract surgery on my right eye. Everything was great. For distance, my repaired eye did the bulk of the work. For closeup work my other eye took over. Then, at 65 (this year) I had cataract surgery on the other eye. Now I can see a fly from 300 yards away, but I can't see squat in the shop. I need real strong reading glasses for extreme closeup work - not quite as strong to see 1 foot away - and weaker ones for normal closeup work. When I go to the Borg, I can't read any of the labels since I never remember to bring reading glasses with me. My newly implanted lenses have a prescription that allows me to see perfectly at great distances. I wish they had given me lenses that would allow me to see well up close. It would be easier to wear glasses when driving.
On the other hand, 50 years ago cataracts were not able to be corrected at all - I have nothing to complain about.

Ernie

What a coincidence, Ernie!

I too had cataract surgery with implants. (I think I was 54.) Woke up one miring with blurry vision in both eyes. Drove into work and as soon as the fluorescent lights hit me everything was really faint!:eek:

They did my right eye in December, waited until it healed and did the second eye about 7 weeks later. The implants gave me 20/20 in my right eye and 20/40 in the right - supposedly so I could read closeup. I still have your same issue though.....reading glasses required. BUT.....no restriction on the drivers license for corrective lenses!!!!

In addition, under certain light, no matter how grumpy I am, everyone says that I have a twinkle in my eyes!!!:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi (Reflective lenses!!:wsmile:)

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS