Just entered the digital age

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike.

Just ordered one. I can't read my vernier scales anymore without using a magnifying glass. :embarrassed:

One more purchase to explain to LOML.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, I got the caliper today and it is junk. The battery holder won't stay in so it cuts off while you are using it, the measurement jumps 1/4 inch when you move the slide a hair. I hoped this would work but after only 5 minutes of trying to work with it I am totally disappointed. I'm sending it back.

Back to the old reliable, may have to buy a bigger magnifying glass.

I rather be right than convenient (NOT).

I hope nobody got hurt on my excitement of supposedly finding a good solution to fine measurements.

JonT

New User
Jon
Mike,
Sorry to hear you got a dud, but don't give up just yet.

I have an analog dial-gauge Starrett and a digital 6" job that I bought at Harbor Freight for around $10 when it went on sale. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I reach for the digital HF tool most of the time but it's 1) accurate and 2) convenient and cost less than the tax on the Starrett.

Many of my measurements require me to shift between (or even worse, convert) fractional & decimal (SAE & Metric). The HF does this for me with the push of a button. And yeah, the readout is big enough for my old eyes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-Digital-Caliper-with-Metric-and-SAE-Fractional-Readings-68304.html
It's $13 now, but keep an eye out for the HF sales. It's worth a try.

TIP: try a few before you leave the store to make sure you don't get a lemon.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Well, I got the caliper today and it is junk. The battery holder won't stay in so it cuts off while you are using it, the measurement jumps 1/4 inch when you move the slide a hair. I hoped this would work but after only 5 minutes of trying to work with it I am totally disappointed. I'm sending it back.

Back to the old reliable, may have to buy a bigger magnifying glass.

I rather be right than convenient (NOT).

I hope nobody got hurt on my excitement of supposedly finding a good solution to fine measurements.

I think maybe you got a bad one.

I got my set yesterday and played around with it for while. I did not have any of the problems you described. The battery compartment stayed closed and the caliper readings seem right on when compared to an old dial caliper. I really like the fractions readout down to 1/128"

Maybe you can let them send you a replacement and see if it works correctly?

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
Hey Mike,

I ordered the set too and like Mark, mine seems to work fine. Give Peachtree a call. I'm sure they will make it right.

-Lonnie

sawduster

New User
Robert
got mine yesterday as well and do not seem to have these issues either. i will say that once I close the caliper I can put additional pressure on it to change the reading somewhat but it seems accurate if I just allow it to close by itself without any pressure. of course, at my level of woodworking close is good enough :gar-Bi

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Got a reply from Peachtree, they have sold over 2000 of these and my complaint is the first. At last I'm first in something! Yay.

They have a 30 day guarantee on everything they sell - send it back...

Didn't offer to try another one (I wouldn't anyway, once burned twice shy)

I'll pack it up, take pictures of everything and put it in the mail.

ehpoole

Ethan
got mine yesterday as well and do not seem to have these issues either. i will say that once I close the caliper I can put additional pressure on it to change the reading somewhat but it seems accurate if I just allow it to close by itself without any pressure. of course, at my level of woodworking close is good enough :gar-Bi

I can't speak of the particulars of this model, only calipers in general. The most error a moderate amount of force applied to the caliper should create, assuming you are not crushing the object you are measuring, is no more than +/- 0.0005" (1/2000" or 1/2 mil). If you are getting more error then this then either the calipers need adjustment or they suffer from poor design.

A quick test, before adjusting, is to tighten down the locking knob -- not so far that you can not move the caliper but just enough that it moves with some friction. This temporary adjustment should eliminate the play in an improperly adjusted caliper. Now try taking a measurement and applying a bit of force. If this eliminates the error (or gets you to no more than 0.0005" (1/2 mil) error then your calipers need adjustment. If you are still getting unacceptable error then the calipers themselves suffer from poor design and no adjustment can fix this. Afterwards, don't forget to loosen the locking knob.

The Adjustment:
Most calipers ship with two small adjustment set screws located, typically, to either side of the locking knob up top. These are very small screws and will require an equally small straight-blade screwdriver to adjust. Each of the two screws applies pressure to a pressure plate that rides along the top side of the caliper's body to remove play. There are two screws for this adjustment so that the calipers themselves can be adjusted for parallelism if the inner jaws of the caliper don't meet up precisely over their full length. If they don't meet up, then you will tighten one setscrew while equally loosening the other until the jaws close perfectly. Once the jaws are adjusted to close properly you will need to take as much play out of the calipers as possible, which is done by equally tightening both setscrews (e.g. if 1/8 turn on one, then turn the other 1/8 turn as well). When properly set you should be able to fully open the jaws of the caliper over their full 6" adjustment range with no more than a minimal amount of friction over the entire range

When the adjustments are completed you should not be able to see any light between the closed jaws of the caliper and the application of moderate pressure while measuring should not introduce more than +/- 0.0005 (1/2 mil) error. If you hold the caliper jaws in line with a lamp, your eyes should be able to discern as little as a 1/2 mil (0.0005"), or less, of opening between the two jaws.

Comments
Mike, I'm sorry your new purchase did not work out. FWIW, I have a digital caliper (measures in mils and milimeters), two fractional dial calipers (1/64") and a pair of dial gauges (both measure in mils). I very seldom use my digital calipers in the shop, but I use my fractional dial calipers all the time -- one pair is stainless steel (from Woodcraft) and the other is a nylon-fiberglass composite (General brand). The nylon-fiberglass one is great when working around cutters, especially carbide, as it will not chip the cutters if it makes contact. The two dial gauges (one is kept in a magnetic base, the other part of a complete older Align-It kit) are used a good bit for tool setup.

My point being that, aside from my Wixey thickness planer DRO, I really don't use my digital caliper set in the shop much. I almost exclusively use fractional dial calipers -- their analog nature and 1/64" increments (from which one can easily interpolate 1/128" or even 1/256" inch) are more intuitive for most woodworking tasks. For tool setup, I almost exclusively use the two dial gauge setups.

I still can not get over how inexpensive digital calipers are these days. I purchased my digital calipers from Rockler about 10-11 years ago for about $60 at the time and I thought that was an excellent deal. Now there are places that practically give them away, though I sometimes wonder how well made some of the newer models are.

Out of curiosity, do these cheaper calipers still ship with an accuracy certificate that shows their error at different measurements (typically every 5-10mm)? For example, my calipers experience their maximum error of -0.02mm between 130-140mm and 0mm to -0.01mm over the rest of their range -- this corresponds to a maximum error of 1/1250" over their full range.

HTH

jhreed

New User
james
My first dial caliper (Mitutoyo) was $120.00 34 years ago. Last week I got a fractional dial caliper from HF $19.00. So far, I am well pleased. I got a free multimeter in the deal. The multimeter was worth every penny I paid for it.
Thanks Jerry Craig for the coupons.
James

ehpoole

Ethan
My first dial caliper (Mitutoyo) was $120.00 34 years ago. Last week I got a fractional dial caliper from HF $19.00. So far, I am well pleased. I got a free multimeter in the deal. The multimeter was worth every penny I paid for it.

I'm glad the deal works for you. Personally, I would have great difficulty putting any real faith in a free multimeter! I have to be able to trust mine -- both in accuracy and occassionally in life as well. They also have to have the proper feature set and high impedance (preferably 20-40Megohm, and no less than 10Megohm), something many of the cheaper models tend to come up short in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors