just a quick shellac question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I am planning on sealing a bunch of maple using spray on shellac before finishing with Urethane. Is this OK to do? I've not done this before and just wanted to check with my comrades before I start this.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mark, from what I have read and heard the shellac is a great sealer befor you put your final finish on -

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Mark,

You want to use dewaxed shellac if you are putting other finishes over it. Zinsser's SealCoat is a dewaxed shellac, and Zinsser makes good products that are widely available. Just as with any finish, do a sample first to be sure that it doesn't create a darker color than what you are looking for. All shellac will impart a bit of an amber hue, with blonde shellac having the least tendency in this regard.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Mark,
The spray is dewaxed like the Sealcoat so it will work fine. But, you said you will be doing a 'bunch' of Maple. You can get a gallon of Sealcoat for the price of 4-5 spray cans.
I agree with Matt about the shellac 'ambering' a bit, but so will the urethane, unless you're using water based. I like to thin the Sealcoat a little and wipe it on.

Umich684

New User
Jake
1 Coat only@! multiple coats will ensure NO chemical reaction, and just put a glaze over the wood, when exposed to heavy service it will crack/flake.....If you want to use it as an intermediate layer why not just a sanding sealer? Typical composition is just a thinned out mix of urethane, dries quick, made in-shop real easy..also available over the counter for cheaper than Shellac.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
There is no need or benefit to "sealing" with shellac. The first coat of any finish effectively seals the surface of the wood. Just thin the first coat about 25-30% with mineral spirits and it will seal as well as a shellac. Applying is unnessessy and just adds a complication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors