July TWA meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickc

Currently on vacation, but wanted to remind everyone of the upcoming Triangle Woodworkers Association meeting, Tuesday July 18th. I will check in on this site infrequently because I am becoming reacquainted with dial up! :crybaby2: However, if you have a question feel free to email/PM me as I check email about every other day. I will eventually check in! Tough up here in upstate NY - blue skies, highs in upper 70s, low 80s - on the lake! :eusa_danc

-Rick

=============================================
Program Topic: Furniture Design Speaker: Denese Grohs
=============================================

M.A. Industrial Education & Technology, Appalachian State University, 12/1981. Additional courses in Art Dept., ASU.

Denise Grohs has been an active professional woodworker and furniture maker since 1976. In 1982, she opened her custom woodworking business, Miters Touch, where fine custom furniture and cabinets are built, along with a continually growing collection of art furniture. She is an adjunct Instructor at Appalachian State University and has taught Advanced Woodworking (2002). In recent years, Denise participated in art and woodworking shows, lectured at Appalachian State Univ., and appeared in panel discussions about art furniture at NCSU Visual Art Center. In the past, she taught materials/methods classes ASU Art Dept. She is a member of the Furniture Society, High Country Home Builders Assn., Hands Gallery

Denise describes her approach, "Domestic hardwoods like cherry, walnut and curly apple stimulate my creativity. Their richness, beauty and texture help my ideas evolve. I tend to design using two contrasting woods and you will find asymmetry, organic shaping, texturing and sometimes other media - metal, glass, ceramics - in my work. Certainly the woodworking greats have influenced me, especially James Krenov and George Nakashima, but my direction is my own. I am not into ornate decoration or furniture as a doctoral thesis of woodworking gimmicks. I just design pieces that I hope will provide beauty, subtlety and pleasure for their owners, while being used as furniture."

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sounds like a very interesting program, I'm looking forward to it :eusa_danc

Dave:)

dozer

Mike
I was thinking of becoming a TWA member, I was wondering if it is ok to come to one of the meetings to see what it is like before joining, is that ok?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Mike,

Yes, it is ok to come to a meeting before you join. I did. Some of the folks form this forum will be at the meeting, so there will be a few folks you know. TWA folks are just as friendly as the NCWW members. I plan on being there on the 18th.

Why not come on out. I'd be happy to meet you. So would the other members.

Ray

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
TWA has an open meeting policy. Anyone can attend our meetings. To recieve our newsletter and participate in workshops you need to be a member. We also recieve discounts from several vendors in addition to the ones at NC Woodworker. We maintain a very good and current library of books and videos. Members show off their accomplishments at meetings. Our greatest project is our "Toys for Tots" workshops. At these several members will get together and make wooden toys for the Marines to give as part of their "Toys for Tots" program. In November, we have an auction, where members can sell surplus items (junk?) without a BUYERS PREMIUM. We also go as a loose group to Greensboro and Charlotte shows. The program committee is hard at work setting the programs for next year. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I won't be doing a program next year. We try to have nationally known speakers , who do both a program and a two day workshop. With in the last year, we have had both Frank Klaus (Mr. hand cut dovetail) and Garrett Hack as speakers. We meet on the third Tuesday of the month (except Dec. as Marines need toys by second Tues.) and when having a out of town spearker and workshops. For these we meet on Friday nite. As Bob Barker says on "The Price Is Right"- COME ON DOWN!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, come on and check out a meeting. I think that you will enjoy it. Also a group of TWA/NCww'er members meet at Buffalo Brothers (across the parking lot) around 6:00 for dinner, beverages and good conversation. You are more than welcome to join in that also. Often the guest speaker joins in the dinner (eating with F. Klaus and Garrett Hack has been a true pleasure to me) I look forward to seeing and meeting you there.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for the reminder Rick. And I look forward to seeing everyone. :-D

'dems good peeple

Roger

dozer

Mike
As long as nothing come up I will be there. And I'm always up for some good wings :mrgreen: Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Thamks Mike

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I would love to stop by and say hello. Can someone give me the Where and When. I can't seem to find the location and time details anywhere.

Thanks,

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
READ, did you say READ? Everybody knows that real men don't read directions. In case someone missed it, we meet at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop on Capital Blvd. You might want to bring a fold up chair with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors