July Meeting of WNC Woodworkers Assoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I know this announcement is late, but we've been challenged a little to get a program in line for this coming meeting. We will meet as scheduled at 1:00 PM on Saturday, July 8th at the Folk Art Center at mile marker 382 on the Blue Ridge Parkway in East Asheville. As before, we will meet in the Conference Room on the Main Floor (enter through the Gift Shop). We will post signs inside the Center on how to find the room.

Steve DeWeese has agreed to do this month's program on short notice -- he will discuss Using HVLP for Finishing. We appreciate his willingness to step in when we could not schedule our planned program (we hope to do that one in August -- it involves a visit to a major wood supplier).

We will discuss the Bylaws (a draft will be sent to everyone that has attended past meetings by e-mail), determine our membership dues and solicit names for a Board of Directors. Refreshments will be served as well. Please let us know if you plan to attend so we can have enough to go around -- for directions or questions, contact me via PM or at rrpayne [at] bellsouth [dot] net. See you there!

Rob

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Good deal Rob, I'll be there barring any crisis. I'm sure Steve will have a good pogram, and it's a very timely topic since I have a new HVLP gun that I haven't used yet.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey Rob,

I'll be there on the 8th and the topic is of real interest. Thanks :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap for securing Steve's :icon_thum help.

Dan C.

M

McRabbet

Let me add one other thing to the agenda -- true to the suggestion made at the last meeting, we will devote a segment of the agenda to a "Show 'n Tell" on any WW topic -- bring a new tool, a recent project or whatever! Any volunteers for bringing refreshments? Please send me a PM.

Rob

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Here is the plan, subject to change at a moments notice:
Overview of spraying to include standard and HVLP (compare/contrast). HVLP equipment overview (conversion guns, pressure pots, turbine systems) Spray finishes and technique, safety, cleanup, care & maintenance.

I plan to do a little show & tell with my guns and accessories. If anyone has a turbine system they would like to bring and discuss that would be helpful too. Please bring along any spray equipment of your own and we can do a little show & tell all around.

Please let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to cover and I will try and work it in.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Sounds good Steve, I'm looking forward to it because HVLP is new territory to me. I'll bring my new "birthday" Porter Cable gun since a lot of folks seem to have been getting them.

M

McRabbet

I picked up four liters of sodas and some of the world's favorite sandwich treats for our refreshments -- we look forward to a good sized turnout -- if you need directions, don't hesitate to send me a PM -- and please review the draft Bylaws I sent out! We need to get them behind us! I'm also bringing bottled water, cups and napkins. See you all there.

Rob

M

McRabbet

We had a good meeting today at the Folk Art Center, but with rather modest attendance as 9 stalwarts were there. Steve DeWeese gave an excellent talk on Finishing with HVLP Spray that covered the topic very clearly and thoroughly. We adopted a set of Bylaws, set our dues at $25/year for individual members and $35/year for family members, and voted in the first Board of Directors (listed alphabetically: Dan Campbell (Dancam), Steve DeWeese (Steve D), Larry Mallett (Lbmallett), Randy Osborne (Ozzie-x) and Rob Payne (McRabbet). We shared refreshments (who ate all those Oreos!) and enjoyed a fun "Show 'n Tell". I must admit that I again committed the unpardonable sin -- no pics. Worse than that, I had my digital camera with me, but it sat on the table unused for the entire meeting (Steve's talk was that good!). The Board of Directors will meet (via teleconference) this next week to elect officers and we will publish a membership roster and membership list asap (to members only).

For those of you that didn't make the meeting, you missed a good one -- we are trying to arrange a site visit to an exotic wood supplier in the Asheville area next month (August 12th) and will get info out as soon as arrangements are made.

Rob

cskipper

Cathy
Sorry we missed it, but had an unusual opportunity to meet with a local woodworker who explained his process for assembly and turning segmented bowls. Sounds like a good board of directors.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Rob,

Rumor over in the eastern part of the state has it that the WNCWA is going to be hosting the NCWW Fall Fest around the time of the Klingspore Extravaganza. Any truth to this? I couldn't find any form of confirmation or denial on the subject at this site: http://www.snopes.com/

:lol:

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
McRabbet said:
I must admit that I again committed the unpardonable sin -- no pics. Worse than that, I had my digital camera with me, but it sat on the table unused for the entire meeting (Steve's talk was that good!).
Rob

It's hard to take pictures when you are sound asleep.......

Bill Julson

New User
Update your profile with your name
:oops: Sorry I missed the meeting but have (2) grandchildren visiting and they have really been keeping us busy. I would like to join & be a part of the group, although I have little expertise to share. Count me in for August. :icon_thum Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors