jointer push stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jay, handy looking gizmo. :icon_thum I think I need to make me one. How about naming it the J-PUSH?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Jay!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Looks like it will keep the fingers well clear of the those jointer blades. (I find that commercial ones are way over priced.:eek:)

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I like it! I made something similar like that for the router table, but it never worked quite right. I think the angled handle is key, that's should really help with control. Also like the trailing edge to control the end of the board.

How about a piece of 220 grit sandpaper on the inside faces, for added grip?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My only concern with using a end registering push stick like that is apply too much pressure at the end of the board. I might be wrong but my jointer technique involves apply pressure to the board as it starts on the infeed table. By pressure I mean keeping it in contact with the table. Then as the board has passed over the cutter head I transfer my pressure to the part of the board that is on the outfeed table. It is my thinking that by doing this you are registering the flattened surface against the outfeed table which is inline with and coplaner to the cutter head knives and the rest of the board will follow across the cutter head at the same plane.
I noticed in your picture that you are also using your left hand to guide the board and you might lessen the force applied with the push stick as the majority of the board passes over the cutter head and that would work well. But in my mind if you are guiding the board across the cutter head with the majority of pressure applied to the rear end you might have a hard time getting a straight edge.

Dave:)

RickC

New User
Rick
Don't forget to send your idea to the various woodworking magazines - they might like it as well. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS