Jointer bearing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
In another post SCSMITH42 (Scott) suggested I check the bearings in my jointer, 6" Delta Professional. OK, how do I do this?:dontknow:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Removing the cutter head is fairly easy, after you have removed the tables. I suggest that you get hold of a copy of John White's book, "Care and Repair of Shop Machines."

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
you could unplug the power, and take the belt off the motor. spin the cutter head with the belt, you should be able to feel, or hear, whether your bearings are any good or not.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ditto both recommendations.

If it were mine, I'd start by removing the belt and feeling if there is any play on each side of the planer head. I'd also spin the head to see if I felt any type of rough spot in the bearings.

Scott

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
use a dowel pressed up to your ear and spin the cutterhead with the dowl resting on the ends where the bearings are. if you hear any clicking sounds they are bad. do this by hand though cause if you do it while the jointer is under power the clicking sound just might be the stick slapping your ear lobes!:gar-La; clicking or grinding sounds indicate rough spots on the bearings. not good! you may not hear this with the naked ear and you may not be able to feel it as you spin the cutter head. the stick acts like a stethascope. you should feel slight resistance also. if not and the cutter free spins the bearings are on the way out also. a hose will give the same results but not as pronounced as with the stick.:icon_thum slight resistance and no noise means all is well. YMMV

fred

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you put the stick or better a metal rod against the mastoid bone (behind the ear lobe) or your cheek bone, it will transmit the sound better if you have hearing loss like I do .

Go

sapwood

New User
Roger
Fred and Go,
That's great advice for those of us who are mechanically challenged. Ya gotta love this site :mrgreen:

Of course, if LOML catches me doing that in the shop, there will be some explaining to do :wwink:

Roger

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Of course, if LOML catches me doing that in the shop, there will be some explaining to do :wwink:

Roger[/quote]This is from a guy who wears a metal hat with funny looking aluminum foil ears? I think the LOYL deserves an award for just putting up with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS