Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Has anyone used this Interlocking tenon for chair leg seat rails?

uploadfromtaptalk1447820105641.gif

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I think this is an "an over engineered joint" that looks like it would be fun to make but not provide additional strength to the one on the right. To get the max from the basic joint I would miter the ends of each tenon so I get maximum depth. Some might like to add pegs to the joint.

If the joint becomes loose(glue failure) the little bit of wood is virtually end grain. In chair construction of this sort, I try to get the mortise as snug as possible and I always use HIDE GLUE NOT YELLOW GLUE.

If for any reason the glue joint fails, you simply heat the joint a little, reactivate the glue and add a little more if you like and its good to go. If you use anything but hide, you have to disassemble the joint and completely clean the mortise out and clean the tenon. Not for me. I can not tell you how many people have brought chairs to me after a "pro" repaired the joint with epoxy. In most cases I turn the work away. Sad but glue choice was the death kneel.

If you really want to build it as an experiment, I would build it first on the top so I could view the alignment carefully. Then I would lower the mortise position when I was happy.

Dan

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Yeah over engineered was my thought also... But it does lock into place which is cool. I could envision using this joint and pinning it - where you would not use glue, like on outdoor furniture of example. Outdoor wooden furniture moves a lot with seasonal variations.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
This joint would make a square chair. Generally a chair shape is a trapezoid offset by about 1 1/2 to 2 inches on each side in the rear. This would necessitate the joint to be a little more complex as the mortise and tenon for the side would need to be angled and the dado in the tenon also at an angle. The first one would be a challenge to set up but would be relatively easy once a prototype has been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS