Joiners Mallet Size Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len

New User
Len
Now that I finally have a set of real mortise chisels, I find the old round head wooden hammer I've had for years is a bit on the light side.

I liked the feel of the German/English pattern "Joiners Mallets" we used in Roy's dovetail class but, thinking it was a 'one size fits all' type mallet, I didn't get the weight.:BangHead: So imagine my surprise when I went looking for one on line and discovered they come in weights ranging from 9oz all the way up to 35oz.

My suspicion is something in the 20 - 24oz range would be about right for knocking out mortises without wearing my arm out. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a good size for this? (And yeah, I know I'll probably get as many answers as there are forum members:wink_smil)

Len

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I got the big one, then soaked it in tung oil and let it dry (or its still drying 9 months later).

Love the extra heft post-soak.

I'm in the "wail on it" camp.

I don't view mortise chopping as a delicate dainty operation :)

Jim

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I use this one. Its hand made out of white oak. Its comfortable and I use it for about every task. Am on my third head for it. Never knew how much it weighed until you asked, so weighed it. Came in at 28 oz.

Vise1.jpg

Go

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
To get a feel for how heavy you're comfortable w/, go to one of the BORGS and play around w/ different steel hammers. Try everything from 13 oz up to the 28 oz. framing hammers. You might be surprised how heavy a 28 oz. feels after using it all day.

If you are going to err in one direction or the other, I'd go on the heavy side. Then if you find that's more than you need, you can choke up on the handle to reduce the impact. Over the years I've found that I tend to over do it when striking w/ a mallet, so I've made several w/ short handles to address the problem.

HTH

Bill

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
They all get heavy with use; the really weighted ones, get heavy faster!

I have a 12, 28 and 40 oz set and can use the 28 oz most of the day.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Roy's mallets are a bit lightweight. I have also noted that the ones at Woodcraft are a bit narrow, even though they have at least 3 sizes. I also do not like the ones with a loose mortised head. I made mine (at different times) out of cherry and ash. I like a dense, heavy wood with a longer handle. Made the striking face about 5 degrees out of square with the malet axis to improve striking on the downswing.

Len

New User
Len
I took Bill's suggestion and went to the BORG and tried the various weights of steel hammers, and for now I think I'll go with a 24oz mallet. If I use it enough to build up my arm muscles, I may pass it on to my grandson and move up to something heavier. But I think it will do for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS