sawduster

New User
Robert
There is another Undo feature known as CA glue :gar-La;

Wouldn't kindling be " delete " ? :rotflm:

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
So thought I would Look up BLO & this is what I found!

Linseed Oil, Boiled

Linseed Oil was the choice of the old timers.

I put the boiled after the linseed oil to draw attention to it rather than to indicate that there will be other types covered. The other type is raw linseed oil, it will never dry, but will become gummy and sticky, so be sure to get BOILED linseeed oil if you decide on that kind of finish.

Linseed oil gives a fantastic finish, but you need a year to apply it. The general rule of thumb for a linseed oil finish is once an hour for a day, once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month for a year. The finish was usually french polished once a year after that. That's a lot of work.

I really dont have a year to finish it! I've gotta ship it off to Vegas in a cpl of days! What should I do???

DaveO

New User
DaveO
BLO will bring out the color in the wood, and help to "pop" the grain. As a finish itself it is very poor. It is good as a wood "colorant". But just about any oil-based finish is going to give the same effect. You might consider using either a commercial or home brew "Danish Oil" which is esentually a mix of BLO, varnish and MS to thin it (1:1:1 ratio). It goes on easy, colors and pops the grain, and provides enough protect for an art piece.
Dave:)

sawduster

New User
Robert
Jonathan , what I do for my fret work is to dip it. I have a large aluminum roasting pan that I put a layer of BLO in, then lay the piece in and swish it around ( gently ) to cover it completely. Then I allow it to drip for several minutes on a rack I made to fit above the pan . After that, take several thicknesses of paper towel, place the piece on it and use several more to " blot " it . The paper towels will wick all of the oil from the frets. Change the towels as needed to remove the excess oil and then hang it to dry . Use a piece of wax paper underneath to protect your workbench . Do not ball up the paper towels and throw them away!! BLO heats up as it dries and can spontaneously combust if balled up ( trust me on this :BangHead: ) the paper towels should be spread out flat outside until dry or use other appropriate disposal methods . If the panel is allowed to dry indoors it can be ready within 24 hrs with a 1/8" or 1/4" panel . Good ol' sunshine does a good job too :icon_thum
Rub a piece of brown paper bag on a large area and see if any oil comes off on the bag. No oil , piece is dry. I then use a couple of light coats of DEFT spray ...whatever finish you desire. After a couple of hours, burnish the piece with a piece of brown paper bag (careful of that delicate fretwork) and you're all set. If the piece will be framed with glass, the DEFT is not really necessary. As DaveO said, the piece is protected by the oil

E-mail me if you want more details
hope this helps

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What Dave and Robert said. It's hard to mess up BLO. I've used the magic mixture of BLO, mineral spirits on a variety of projects, and it's like Mac'n'Cheese. Even people who can't cook can make it work and make something tasty.

You should be able to get it dry within two days, but oil does have a smell that takes a while to dissipate. Just keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS