Jeff Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I want to say I would like to ensure this doesn't become a vendetta. He does some annoying and irritating things, but he does have some valid posts and threads. His red oak root balls he is cutting into bowl blanks and giving away, his gun cabinet, etc.

I do think he tries us and tries the moderators, and a lot of his threads are not woodworking related, but so are a lot of other peoples including ours.

Still, I think we need to take some type of action.

Scott, you recused yourself from this discussion, but I sincerely believe you should chime in and express your thoughts and opinions as well.

Travis, as Doug indicated I think that we're all pretty much in synch.

On the one hand, it is entirely appropriate that we take action when someone violates our site policies. The extent of the action should be determined based upon an assesment of whether the policy violation was intentional or the result of ignorence.

When in doubt, a BOD member or moderator should pick up the phone and talk live to the person in question. In the interest of being fair, as well as appropriately carrying out our responsibilities as stewards of North Carolina Woodworker, we need to be sure that we're doing the right thing.

There seems to be a lot of animosity against Jeff and an assumption that he is intentionally trying to wreak havoc against North Carolina Woodworker. I don't talk to him that often (every few months), but I have not observed any intentional malicious intent.

If it is Doug's assessment after speaking with Jeff that his behavior is intentionally disruptive, then I will be in full agreement with pulling the trigger.

Sometimes you need to walk in someone else's shoes first, in order to understand where they are coming from. In this instance, the best correlation that I can think of is the Golden Rule.

I'm not sticking up for Jeff; my concern is that we hold true to principles of being fair to all members, and treating them the way that we each would wish to be treated if the roles were reversed.

My 2 cents.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Well gentlemen, Jeff and I had a discussion tonight. Perhaps it was a bit of Synchronicity, but apparently Jeff decided a couple of days ago that perhaps it was time to withdraw considerably from NCWW. He is not planning on leaving altogether, but to do so for a large part.

He has noticed that the site has changed since its origins and his humor was understood and returned more when there were 200 members with 50 active. He is not getting the response to his posts that he used to. He does not want to cause problems. So going forward we will see less of him as he keeps his posts focused on woodworking and leaves the rest outside.

SO, bottom line is we will hopefully see the result we wanted. If not then we will take the action needed at that time. Jeff did say that he appreciates the work being done by the board and the staff.

That was not a fun call.

Doug

M

McRabbet

Doug,

You deserve a major league "Pat on the Back" from all of us. You obviously handled this very professionally and the outcome is better than most would have anticipated. Frankly I am pleased that Jeff understands where this forum wants its membership to be -- he does make many very good contributions and hopefully will limit himself to that direction. Hoo Rah!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Doug, THANKS!!!! No matter how that call went I figured it would have been tough. I know I could not have handled that job. I really hope Jeff can manage his behavior. He has always been a contributer. Thanks again from all of us.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks for having that tough conversation. I know you weren't looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS