IWF Aug 25 - 28, 2010, Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
This is the "Big Boy" show. If you haven't been before, you just can't imagine what you have missed. Takes three days to see MOST of the show. If you are thinking of flying to Atlanta, you don't need to rent a car. Just pickup the MARTA in the airport, go to Five Points and transfer to west bound train to Phillips Arena / Georgia Dome which is the very next station. Baggage check is available at the show for a nominal fee. Catch the MARTA / bus to your hotel. We stay over in Buckhead, just because we have been pleased with the hotel we use. There is a bus stop at the foot of the stairs at the hotel, and Linberg Center (MARTA station) is about four blocks away. MacRabbet can give you the details on catching the MARTA if driving in from the north. If you drive, try to go out to Stone Mountain to catch the laser light show. Costs (last year) ten bucks a car load to go to see laser light show.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Is it possible to decide to attend, at the last minute, and be successful at finding a hotel, etc.?
YES! You can get hotel rooms anywhere from $69 to $400 a night. Remember that metro Atlanta is a BIG place, with plenty of hotels. Main thing (for us anyway) is for hotel to be close to MARTA station. We are still undecided as to whether to fly in, or drive down. If we decide to go out to Stone Mountain for the laser light show, then most likely we would drive. When I add airport parking for four days, and one day's use of a rental car, fuel to drive is much less. It's nice to get up, drive out to the airport, catch a flight to Atl, eat breakfast in the CNN Center, and go across the street to the show before 10:00 AM, instead still being driving, almost to the SC line, with three hours to go.

M

McRabbet

I'll be going again this year and need to start thinking about staying overnight to make it a 2-day venture, because I had to rush through to see 1/2 of what was there last year. One advantage I have is it is lots closer for me to drive, so I can leave the morning of the show and be there as the doors open without rushing. Here is an excerpt from the MARTA website concerning parking at stations coming in from I-85 as I did last year (I parked at Chamblee).

FROM I-85 FROM THE NORTHFREE DAILY PARKING: Chamblee Station is the closest station with free daily parking to I-85. Take exit #94,Chamblee Tucker Rd, then make a right and travel approximately 2.3 miles to the station, located on the right just past Peachtree Dekalb Airport.
LONG TERM PARKING: Doraville Station is the closest station to I-85 with long term parking. Exit I-85 to I-285 West via exit #95. Take exit #32, Buford Highway, and make a left. Go South on Buford Highway and turn right onto Park Avenue. The station will be at the end of Park Ave. The long-term parking is located in the parking deck. Long Term Parking is $8.00 per 24 hour period including the first day and part days. Free daily parking is also permitted at this station in designated areas.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Make sure you leave time to check out Highland Woodworking; I was in there 2-weeks ago and was quite impressed. It is like an Orvis for woodworking.

I was also at this show in 2008, and I recommend making it a 2-day deal; I was there on business and it took all of those two days to get it done. If I were there as a hobbyist I would never leave; it is that great.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Remember to add parking to any deal you get on a downtown hotel. Some charge a bunch($25-$30/day:swoon:) I normally stay out at the Perimeter Mall area. It's safe, clean, MARTA gets you into the convention center in 25 minutes and plenty of restaurants are within walking distance and hotel parking is free.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like I may be able to arrange my schedule to be in Atlanta that week so I'm looking at going now.
Has anyone uncovered any free admission codes for the IWF? The best I'm seeing is "WMMA" for a $5 discount.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
BTW...the Braves are playing the Marlins at home Friday the 27th and Saturday the 28th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS