It's finished finally - well sorta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I don't think that I have ever been so happy to finish a project before.

P1294661.JPG

All I have left to do is to wait a couple of days, rub it out and attach the pulls. Yahoooooooo!!!!!!!!!:icon_cheers

Jerome

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jerome,
It's good to see you back again, you do such beautiful work. The chest looks great, but I gotta know why you're so glad the project's almost over:mrgreen:.

T

toolferone

Very nice, very nice indeed! Tell me more about the strap hinges you used.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I'm just tired of working on it and on working on this particular form of chest. This one is an exact copy of one that is over at Old Salem. But in order to get this far I had to make 6 previous iterations.

I saw it at the museum and said "oh I can do that no problem." :rotflm: I had to learn to make raised panels, figure out what the heck a panel raising plane is..... Then there was the slip into the world of distressed milk pain finishes. I now know why they charge more for painted/distressed furniture.

I'll get over it soon and probably make another.

Jerome

Jerome,
It's good to see you back again, you do such beautiful work. The chest looks great, but I gotta know why you're so glad the project's almost over:mrgreen:.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
What kind of wood is that and how did you finish it?

Wally nut. I applied Boiled Linseed, put on a spit coat of Dark Garnet Shellac, glazed with walnut crystals, to even out the colors and to hide the sap, then I applied a couple of layers of dark garnet and then a couple of layers of button lac shellac (all 1lb cut and with a 1" artist brush).

The small brush and the low cut does marvels. I had few problems with lap marks and very little if any sanding to do.

I am not completely satisfied with my effort to even out the colors of the panel with that of the frame. But eh. progress not perfection. I've never worked with stain before.

Matching walnut boards to keep color constant is no joke. Next time I might do a smaller chest and see if I don't choose as selectively, will it come out too busy.

Jerome

Jerome

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Where are the close ups and the inside pics??????

My attempt at dovetails. The original had one dovetail with a nail in the middle.

P1294669.jpg

I attached the battens with double sliding dovetails. I found that double dovetails are easier to do than singles.

P1294671.jpg

It hurt to have to cut the original walnut 4x8 to make the posts. The back and bottom are cedar.

P1294666.jpg

Jerome

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
"milk pain finishes"

Couldn't have been said any better!

The finished work is worth the effort you put in to it. A very nice chest that anyone should be proud to own.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Really nice work, Jerome. I took a look at your website and really like the bed with the floating headboard! I'd like to find out more about Thomas Day. It sounds like there's a fascinating story behind him and his shop and the furniture at the link you provided is just plain wild. Really cool stuff. Do you have any links to further info?

Also, where do you get your reclaimed wood? I'd love to find a source for stuff like the old-growth SYP or the stuff from the farmer's roof, etc...

Thanks again for sharing,
AAAndrew

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wow, the chest looms large in size and quality :icon_thum
So I guess you are ready to teach that class now, eh?

Roger

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Really nice work, Jerome. I took a look at your website and really like the bed with the floating headboard! I'd like to find out more about Thomas Day. It sounds like there's a fascinating story behind him and his shop and the furniture at the link you provided is just plain wild. Really cool stuff. Do you have any links to further info?

Also, where do you get your reclaimed wood? I'd love to find a source for stuff like the old-growth SYP or the stuff from the farmer's roof, etc...

Thanks again for sharing,
AAAndrew

Here are a couple of links on Thomas Day.

http://www.miltonnc.com/index.shtml
http://www.thomasday.net/thomas_day.html

There are some folks down in Pittsboro that sell the stuff. They're a little pricy though. So far I have gotten mine from when people are tearing down older home 1930 and earlier. You would be surprised at what is going to the dump. or is getting used for firewood.

Jerome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS