It's a very difficult decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
My pal for 13 years is very sick. He has a respiratory problem the Vets can't even name. He can barely breath and it is progressively getting worse. We are taking him to Vet again in the morning for the last time. He has been a good dog and a great pal for his entire life and we are going to miss him greatly. Thanks for letting me share.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Know that it is a tough decision, Geoff.

We were faced with a similar situation about 8 years ago. Our sheltie of about 8 years was diagnosed with a type of lung cancer. Our daughters talked us into cemo, but that only bought him about six months. We now have another sheltie of about the same age - with a completely different personality and he is aging pretty gracefully - slowing way down!:)

I am sure that he will provide lots of fond memories.

So sorry.

Wayne

ehpoole

Ethan
I am really saddened by this news. Nobody likes to lose a best friend and constant companion, but neither does one wish to see such a loving creature suffer.

I genuinely wish you and your family the very best in this difficult time, and I know your four-legged pal is going to miss you you as well, but he'll be in a better place for sure, free of suffering.

I've owned a number of pets over the years and this is really the only part of pet ownership (and quite frankly, I think it's really the pets who own *us*) that I disliked. Somehow I never minded having to wash a urine-soaked cat (terrified of enclosed spaces -- e.g. the carrier), but making that final visit to the vet was something I all too often had to leave to a family member a little less attached than I because I just could not bear to do it myself.

Fortunately, in time, only the happiest of memories stay with us.

Please take care, and if you need to lean on anyone in difficult times, there are plenty of us here for you to lean on.

Last edited:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey Geoff,

I'm really sorry to hear about your buddy. My animals mean the world to me, since I consider them family, and losses are real hard. It's good that have realized that the time is right and are going to make it easy on him.

My condolences to you guys.

DWSmith

New User
David
That is tough news. I remember being there and breaking down when it was all over. On the bright side, you gave your buddy 13 good years with care and love.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Geoff,
I'm really sorry to hear this. Just know he won't be suffering any longer. Our prayers are with you.

Sent from my Droid on Tapatalk 2

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Geoff, there are no right words to say. As a pet owner I have had to do the same thing. It is never easy but it is the best thing you can do for him. Hang tough my friend.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I know it's one of the hardest things I have ever had to do and it's never easy. Take comfort that for many years you provided him with a great life and a good friend. Our four legged friends give us so much more that they ask in return and I'm sure he will be at the Rainbow Bridge waiting to greet you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Last edited:

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
It is a very hard decision, we know because we have had to make the same decision. We know your friend will be missed and those that say its just a dog, they do not have a clue.

cskipper

Cathy
I know that's a tough decision as we've had to make it several times. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Geoff, so sorry to hear about this. I too know firsthand the pain of that decision. I love all animals, but I'm a cat person. Down to 4 now from 13 at one time. Animals give us un-conditional love for all their years. But they also trust us to know when it's time to make that tough decision. As Brad said, he'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge as if he never left you.

Tom Swortzel

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
Anatole France

workingwood

New User
workingwood
Geoff I am terribly sorry to hear about this. I know from my own experiences that this is probably the toughest decision you have to make. Thankfully as he waits for you his respiratory problems will have been relieved and he will no longer be in any type of pain. I wish the best of luck to you and your family as you go through this experience. We will keep you in our prayers.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Geoff, you have my deepest condolences. I too am a animal person, my wife and I have had 16 dogs and cats over the years and there are only 4 left in the house now.

M

McRabbet

I feel your pain, Geoff -- I've had to make that trip many times before and I know how tough it is to face -- all I can say is your buddy will know that you are helping him through his toughest time, too. Cherish the memories as we all have before. My thoughts are with you.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Geoff my prayers are with you.Im in same situation...wont be to long im affraid....like some one said..they gave us good years...Hopefully they will go to a better place....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors