It fits!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought a mini lathe from a fellow member and it was missing the tailstock quill.

I knew the Morse taper live center was shot but didn’t expect the quill to be gone.

I searched a couple weeks for a replacement quill, a used tailstock, or a parts lathe with this part intact. No luck. So I got to thinking these Chinese mini-lathes are probably all the same. And I’ve had good luck buying parts from Grizzly to fit other brands’ tools.

So I looked and sure enough they have a similar lathe in green paint. Found the part, ordered it, and it fits.

Now I can buy all the other accessories I need to make this a value added tool for my shop.

It never fails when I have a big bowl or a complex set up on the lathe I suddenly need a small handle or knob. Now I can just make it on this mini.

IMG_4393.jpeg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
@Jim Wallace
I saw your write up on this type of lathe and I tried to do the things you did to make it work smoother. Also, mine was very stained and crusted with finish so I cleaned it, filed some of the rough cast edges, and painted it. Photo later…

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I have been considering getting a mini lathe like this as my first lathe to get my feet wet at a reasonable price. Would you recommend this one?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have been considering getting a mini lathe like this as my first lathe to get my feet wet at a reasonable price. Would you recommend this one?
This one is discontinued. There are several similar China copies, if you can call them copies. All made from same castings, I’m sure. The Jet is slightly heavier, possibly a better motor and standard drive shaft threads. If I was buying new I would go with it. I bought this used and it needed some work. If you are able and willing to do that you can save some cash at the expense of your time. I like to tinker and invent so it works for me.

I have an old lathe that needs a motor and mount, I think it 9x36. Would make a nice little project lathe. $60. Quite a bit larger and more robust that this one but I don’t have room for it.

I can lift and move this little one with one hand and tuck it under a table when I don’t need to use it.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I have an old lathe that needs a motor and mount, I think it 9x36. Would make a nice little project lathe. $60. Quite a bit larger and more robust that this one but I don’t have room for it.

I can lift and move this little one with one hand and tuck it under a table when I don’t need to use it.
Thanks for the offer Mike. I am in the same boat space wise, which is why a mini lathe is on my wish list.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS