Is there something wrong with my PC router, check out pic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
I was cutting a lot of dove tails and at the end of the job I noticed the bit looked charred and the collet appeared burnt. This is the first time that I have ran a router a lot and wanted to know if this was normal. I cut 16, 8" drawers with 1" tails. I was cooking along well and let the bit bump the jig on the second to last drawer (ouch):oops: which made quite a nick on my new jig.:BangHead: After that I did notice that the joints were a little burned but they were sometimes charred before the bump. Is it a dull bit or do I have problems with the router. I really do not have enough experience to make the call and thought I would consult the experts.

Thanks

DSC05807.JPG

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks like it got a little hot - nothing to worry about as long as the wood was not burned too severely or in a place that will show (meaning you have to sand out the burn marks! :BangHead: ). Things that cause this: bit was dull (or became dull), router speed too fast, feed speed too slow, or maybe (depending on the wood and how much you were removing) you should have taken two passes. If you were cutting grooves for sliding dovetails, make two passes - one with a straight bit to clear out most of the waste and then change to this bit (without moving the fence) to make the dovetails. There are probably some other reasons, but those are just some thoughts...

Of course, it could be that your router is not working properly... in order to make that determination I would have to put your router through some extensive long-term testing over here in my shop! ;) :D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Could the collet nut be contacting the bushing ring. I have had that happen before, and in the best case scenario it spins the nut off the bushing, or it could just spin in contact with it creating a lot of heat from friction :dontknow:

Dave

T

toolferone

I agree with Dave, it looks like the collet was touching the bushing. Is the bit carbide? It is hard to tell in the picture. If it is only HSS then that could be a problem too.

DavidF

New User
David
Could the collet nut be contacting the bushing ring. I have had that happen before, and in the best case scenario it spins the nut off the bushing, or it could just spin in contact with it creating a lot of heat from friction :dontknow:

Dave

Yep, looks that way. That bush does seem to protrude a rather long way this side of the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors