Is There Somebody With a Pressure Pot in or near RTP NC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crokett

New User
David
I have some fairly punky pignut hickory. I was hoping it could be stablized, possibly with some colored resin. I want to make a travel coffee mug out of it so it is a larger piece - about 3" square by 10" long. Could this be done? I will pay for it, or I can barter walnut, hickory, cedar, or some pignut hickory pen blanks.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You might want to look into a product called Pentacryl or it's lighter cousin Wood Juice. Both Woodcraft and Klingspor carry it. It is a wood stabilizer. I expect it can also be ordered from the usual sources such as Lee Valley, Rockler, etc.

crokett

New User
David
I will look into that. I don't have a pressure pot or vac system to get it into the wood though. Could I draw enough of a vacuum with one of those space saver bags and my shop vac?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The stuff I mentioned just requires soaking the wood in it. I bought some but haven't really had time to use it yet so I can't say how well it works. Maybe cut a sample piece to try it with. Look it up online and you'll likely find the instructions for use and what it can and can't do. Not sure if it is the answer for your issue but it's worth a little research if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS