is a finish even,...

TBoomz

New User
Ron
is a finish even necessary on a cutting board or bowl meant for food contact? If various woods have antibacterial properties within them, what use is there fore finishes - other than looks?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Is a finish necessary on a cutting board or bowl meant for food contact? Yes!! Many of us tend to use the term "finish" too loosely. When you put a "coating" on a cutting board (or bowl or butcher block or countertop, all hereafter referred to as cutting board), the purpose of the coating should be to seal the pores of the wood, not to "improve" the looks. Any wood that comes into contact with food should be sealed. It is just too easy for bacteria to be transferred to the wood to remain and even grow.

A natural oil based sealer is best for cutting boards. Linseed oil, canola oil, olive oil, any food based oil will work. If you ever wonder if it's time to refresh your sealer, it is time. Try the smell test. A popular sealer is linseed oil combined with beeswax and rubbed in.

Avoid hard finishes like polyurethane or epoxy. The dumbest thing I think I ever see is cutting boards with a "pretty" epoxy river running right down the middle. Hard finishes just dull the knife blades.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A soft oil finish does seal the pores from bacteria but also protects the wood from water as it is being washed. You DO wash your cutting board, RIGHT?!
The best wood for cutting boards is White oak due to the tannic acid which is antibacterial and the closed pore structure of the wood. Quatersawn resists warping/cupping. I have a 40 year old cutting board I made that has been used, abused, washed, chopped, replaned, and still works as advertised... I used flax seed oil like you get from health food stores. It is food so yeah food safe. It dries in a few days and will build up to a high gloss if given enough coats. Many, many coats. I don't like mineral oil because it never dries, I hate setting a board on a nice cloth and finding oil stains when I pick it up.

sandfarm

Joe
User
Mike, are you using flax oil only?
As far as the mineral oil and beeswax, I don't have transfers to a cloth, but maybe it's because i use a heating gun over the mineral oil and beeswax.
It will get hot enough to burn your fingers, but once heated, I rub it in very good then wipe off the excess. The next day I rub the board with a clean cloth.
Anyway, I would like to try the flax oil.

Bill J

Bill
User
Technically, you don't need a finish if you are actually going to use it as a cutting board and not as a display or charcuterie board. I have a couple of maple boards that we use heavily that I never finished and they are about 10 years old. But they will look better, etc if finished.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors