iPad review for Woodworking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I was given both Fine Wood Working and Wood Magazine on DVD as a gift during the last 2 Christmas. I really like the magazines but do not want to sit in front of the computer to read them. I wanted to find a way to read them when I travel so I loaded a few up on my Kindle. The Kindle is great for books but the Kindle could not render the magazines (pdfs) in a readable manner. For my B-Day last month my wife gave me an iPad. I purchased the Readle app for the iPad and loaded up the magazines...the iPad/Readle combination is absolutely great at rendering the magazines and having the color screen is a real plus for the pictures. Now I can sit in the easy chair to read the magazines, take them on a trip and read them or take them into the shop if I want to build something in one of articles. I can also load up recordings of David Marks TV show and play the show in the shop while I am building one of his projects. No idea if I will ever build another David Marks inspired project but I have done 2 of them and it was not a lot of fun going back into the house (over and over again) to rewind the DVR to see just how he did some procedure....having the video with you would really simplify the process. You can draw/sketch ideas as well on the iPad so doing some basic design work is feasible. No real CAD apps exist that I have found so drawing up real nice plans is not real likely for now anyways. I almost forgot, ncwoodworker.net works just fine for reading the posts. The chat application on the site will not work because the iPad does not support Flash. Overall, I really like the device and will finally get some use of the magazines! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Regards,

Bill

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Bill, have you found any digital woodworking mags other than Woodworker's journal and Wood? I've been searching but have not had much luck. I want to go digital because of the trips I go on. That way I do not have to wait for care packages with my fav wood smut as my wife calls them.
Thanks
Paul

Milo_357

New User
Milo
I'm almost positive that Popular Woodworking has a DVD out there somewhere. Not sure how old it is.

Milo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS