Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrevans

New User
James
Hi everyone, I'm James and I'm new to the site. I live in Apex. I'm currently working on turning my garage into more of a workshop. The project has stalled somewhat since my downstairs A/C went out :BangHead:.... and it's about time for a new water heater... and the house needs painting... well, let's just say I have a really long project list nowadays. :gar-Bi

James

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome James, I'm glad you could join us. I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pictures of your work, shop, pets, family or even random fish :icon_thum
See you around!!!!

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site James. You see, you have to prioritize. It will be so much easier to do all of that work on the house once your shop is complete. :gar-La; It's great that you could join us. Feel free to jump in at any time. :icon_thum

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greetings! Glad you joined us.

Sure are a lot of shops (formerly known as garages), sounds like you are well on your way.

BTW, Hot Water is so overrated when held up next to a brand new Delta Unisaw :)

Jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, James!!!

Even when you have your shop all set up, if you are anything like me, there will always be those pesky home maintenance projects to occupy your valuable time.:BangHead::BangHead:

While working on outfitting your new shop, there should always be a reason for a new tool with that long project list. :gar-Bi:gar-Bi

Have fun and enjoy!

Wayne

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome, James!

Wow, you sound like me--I'm in Apex, trying to turn my garage into a workshop, the house needs painting, and my downstairs A/C just went out, too! But I don't have the water heater problem, since I replaced it last year. :) Although I DO need to replace my roof so perhaps you're still up on me?

There is a lot of encouragement here though, often in the form of lunches and visiting each other's shops. Quite a few in the Cary/Apex area, too.

Steve

jrevans

New User
James
Welcome James!!! Who ever said garages are for cars.

Jeff

Most people I know don't have vehicles in their garages. I was the anamoly. Then I bought a new truck that really doesn't fit... oops, guess I have room for a shop now. :rotflm:

jrevans

New User
James
Welcome, James!

Wow, you sound like me--I'm in Apex, trying to turn my garage into a workshop, the house needs painting, and my downstairs A/C just went out, too! But I don't have the water heater problem, since I replaced it last year. :) Although I DO need to replace my roof so perhaps you're still up on me?

There is a lot of encouragement here though, often in the form of lunches and visiting each other's shops. Quite a few in the Cary/Apex area, too.

Steve

I don't have a water heater problem, yet. It IS 13 years old, so I'll probably have one soon. It's in a very inconvenient location in the garage where a perfectly good dust collector could go... and I'd be happy to upgrade to a tankless.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I'd be happy to upgrade to a tankless.

I looked into this when mine went out. I couldn't make the additional upfront cost pay off over the life of the unit. An all-electric tankless needed a large electrical circuit run to it, increasing my initial cost significantly over conventional gas. The tankless gas unit also required an electrical circuit and it also couldn't heat when the power went out. (The starters and controls are electric.) So opted to just swap out my old gas heater for a newer, more efficient gas unit. Like you, it was in the perfect spot for a dust collector, but when I couldn't make the numbers work on the heater, my strategy changed to putting a DC in an exterior "closet" building attached to the garage. Which hasn't happened yet, but at least my family has hot water. :)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome James...glad to have you...Clayton here.....always something on project list huh...:gar-La;

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome James. Think of it this way: each completed honey-do task puts you one step closer to that new tool (or load of wood) you have been considering. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS