Intarsia Class with Mike Mathieu (wdkits1) - Who is interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I suddenly find myself with an extra scroll saw I can bring if anyone needs to use one and can't bring.

And I will have my 20 inch Delta.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I don't have a scroll saw and I am hoping that I won't need to buy one for the workshop. There was talk about having the 2 scroll saws from the outreach trailer available. Will that still be the case? I was hoping to try out a scroll saw or two at the workshop (I have never used one) and then I can try my hand making similar cuts on my bandsaw at home and then decide if purchasing a scroll saw is worth it / necessary to do intarsia.

I assume most people will be bringing their own scroll saw. Who will NOT be bringing a scroll saw?

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have a belt sander I can bring. What grit belt does it require. We should have a couple drills on the trailer

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jeremy, my plan is to pick up the Outreach trailer the week before the workshop. We'll have the two scroll saws available for use.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Everyone
Well the time is fast approaching for our upcoming Intarsia Class so I thought I would touch base with everyone who will be attending with a list of items that will be needed to create the Rose Box Intarsia Project.

Scroll Saw--If you have one, bring it. If not I think the saws supplied from the club trailer may be enough. I will bring my old Craftsman saw also.
#3 Scroll Saw Blades Because we will be working with 1/8" and 1/4" woods #3 skip tooth will be a good choice.
Dremal tool--We will use a 1/2" sanding drum with 60 grit drums for most of the rough shaping of the Intarsia pieces.
5/64" high speed cutter will be used during the box assembly.
Hand held belt sander. I use this with 80 grit and 120 grit belts for sanding box components and fine tuning the bookmatched inlays. I will bring mine
Battery drill with 1/8" and 5/64" drill bits used for hinge installation.
Packing Tape-Will be used for box assembly.I will have 3 dispensers and tape available.
Yellow glue- will be used for box assembly.
CA glue- the thick stuff will be used for gluing the intarsia onto the backer board -CA accelerator if you have it.
Small Back Saw will be used for cutting the accent strips during box assembly,I will bring mine.
36" ruler or other straight edge-used for box assembly.
Sanding Block and sheets of 100 and 220 grit paper for all finish sanding.
Spray Poly- satin finish
Mineral spirits- used for pattern removal.
Cloth rags for wiping on mineral spirits and wiping off poly.
Large black marker- used to conceal gaps in the intarsia.
Small framing square- used for box assembly
Safety glasses and magnifying glasses if you're like me and can't see small stuff.
I will be bringing most of the stuff on this list but if you have it , bring it .
Really looking forward to meeting with everyone.

Also, follow this link to my blog-Buffalo Box Intarsia-A work In Progress to get a good idea how we will be" Having Fun, Gettin it Done.
https://midlothianwoodworks.wordpress.com/buffalo-box-intarsia-a-work-in-progress/

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Dirk, you were on the original sign up list, so I've confirmed your attendance. Will you be bringing your scroll saw?

Bruce, I've added you to the "stand-by" list (#2). As we get closer and see who is still planning on attending, we'll know if we have room for more.

Thanks Bill. Lately, with this urn project, I have a hard time keeping up with myself anyway.:eusa_thin

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
That 'small back saw', is it that little one sold at the Hobby Lobby by the xacto knife?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Will the small bandsaw from the outreach trailer be available as well as the two scroll saws from the outreach trailer? Charlie mentioned that he has used a small bandsaw for intarsia and it worked quite well. Since we don't have any inside cuts on this project, that may be a good option if we have more people than scroll saws. Just a thought....

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Berta
The saw I have is a small Stanley with teeth on both sides. I use it mostly for trimming the accent strips on the jewelry boxes. Any small saw will work
. box-construction-glue-up-005.jpg

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Jeremy I am bringng the trailer. We will have everything we own. Im looking forward to a great time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS