Intarsia Class with Mike Mathieu (wdkits1) - Who is interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have spoken with NCWW's very own Mike Mathieu and he is open to teaching an intarsia workhop/class. If you haven't seen his work, it is worth checking out his website (http://www.midlothianwoodworks.com/). His work is quite stunning to say the least.

No details are are set yet. The first order of business to determine the interest level.

Here are a few questions targeted at getting some basic information.

1) Are you interested?
2) What kind of project would you like to see created?
3) When would you be able to attend?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I'll get the ball rolling:

1) Yes, I am interested.
2) I really don't care. I would gladly defer to the master to make this decision. I suppose I would want something manageable for a beginner and something where the bulk of the work could be completed in a day or two. It could even be something as simple as the NCWW logo. (maybe that isn't as simple as I am assuming, I really don't know)
3) Most any weekend would be fine for me. Classes during the week would be more difficult to pull off.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes I am interested. I will go with the flow as to the projects and dates. Since I live about 1/2 way between the Richmond, VA area where Mike lives and the Triangle I will offer my shop as a possible location for a class. I have three scrollsaws, a spindle sander and a radial drill press.

For the record I have meet Mike and and he a truly a great guy.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Even though I am well west of most of you, I would be very interested in taking an intarsia class with Mike. I've wanted to broaden my woodworking skills and this is an area where I can benefit. Travel for me is not an issue so the class can be held where it is most convenient (I attended Matt Furjanic's Inlay Workshop at Bill Clemmons shop last year). If it is necessary, I'd even travel to Mike's shop in VA.

Rob

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm interested. Any project doable in a single session would be fine with me. March is kind of busy but April is currently open on weekends.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
BTW, we can probably make the Scroll Saws in the trailer available with enough notice. I also have two that could be brought somewhere. At least one would easily fit in my SUV. Not sure about both of them.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'll get the ball rolling:

1) Yes, I am interested.
2) I really don't care. I would gladly defer to the master to make this decision. I suppose I would want something manageable for a beginner and something where the bulk of the work could be completed in a day or two. It could even be something as simple as the NCWW logo. (maybe that isn't as simple as I am assuming, I really don't know)
3) Most any weekend would be fine for me. Classes during the week would be more difficult to pull off.

my answers are the same

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I'm interested.
Preference project would be one of his hummingbird/rose/butterfly box kits, but open to anything
Any weekend.

TDeal

Tim
Senior User
I would be interested.
A project that would provide the basics that could be applied to others, with practice
Most any day, but not the weekend of April 25th

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Thanks everyone for the interest in this Intarsia workshop.
It will be an honor for me to meet and work with you great folks.
As far as the date for the session, I would like to set it up for the 9th and if needed the 10th of May.Let me know if this will work for everyone.
For the project, I will need to know if this will be a "all hands on" where each person does a separate project or a group project where we all work together on one project.
One suggestion was to do one of my keepsake box projects which I can supply the kits (wholesale price of $20 each).
Another suggestion would be to do a group project where everyone participates on various aspects of the project.
Or I could do demonstrations on techniques, wood selections and other aspects of creating Intarsia.
let me know what everyone thinks.
We can work out the details as needed.
Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
Mike, thanks for doing this.

I am good with any type class you pick. I like the individual kit, but would learn so much with any of the choices.

As for the date, the 8th (and 9th) of May work fine for me. Just to confirm, you did mean Friday, and possibly Saturday, right?

Don

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I lean towards a hands on approach if it is something that we can practically do. I think the best way to learn any skill is to actually do it. Maybe the day could start with some demonstrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS