Installing Delicate Hardware

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I am in the midst of building a wedding card/gift box for my youngest daughter's upcoming wedding. I cut the lid off today and started looking at the latch and hinge's I had planned on using.

Question to those of you who work this tiny stuff. The screws that came with the latch and hinges measure about 1/16" in diameter and about 5/16" long!

My self centering "vix" bits don't go down that small to drill pilot holes. (I am mounting the hardware in "sapele".)

What drill bit should I use?
Any tricks for centering the bit and holding the latch and hinges in place while drilling accurate pilot holes?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wayne

2023-10-28_14-18-07_250.jpg
The
2023-10-28_16-29-55_678.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
No you need a Metal lathe so you can mic. the screws and custom turn a piece of steel to exactly match the screw shaft.

You know were talking about accuracy, and nothing in the world speaks more loudly than custom jig up tooling...... ;) 😁 see we helped.........

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Around 1988 or 89 Bridge City Tool Works came out with a very nice awl, it may have been their first tool that I had noticed. I thought it was the most beautiful tool I had ever seen. There was no way I could afford nor justify that expense so I made my amateurish version and it satisfied me for many years. I’m still not over that infatuation but, of course, other tools have taken its place.

This maple handle was turned on a benchtop drill press with a screwdriver for the turning tool. Brass gas pipe fitting filed round. Ice pick blade. Circa 1989.

IMG_4276.jpeg

Last edited:

tghsmith

tghs
User
having been doing lots of small small brass screws lately, #0, #1, #2... I took some flat screw countersinks, put on my opti-visor and used a fine grinding wheel , I did a heat and quench followed by some hone work,, very pointy point and sharp cutting edges.. just worked carefully by hand,, it does just fine in hard white oak!!!

Attachments

• IMGP0041.JPG
    IMGP0041.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Around 1988 or 89 Bridge City Tool Works came out with a very nice awl, it may have been their first tool that I had noticed. I thought it was the most beautiful tool I had ever seen. There was no way I could afford nor justify that expense so I made my amateurish version and it satisfied me for many years. I’m still not over that infatuation but, of course, other tools have taken its place.

This maple handle was turned on a benchtop drill press with a screwdriver for the turning tool. Brass gas pipe fitting filed round. Ice pick blade. Circa 1989.

View attachment 222861

As for me, those are the type of tools that you value the most.......

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I am curious what tool did you use to cut the top off. I made several boxes very similar to yours and used the table saw to cut the tops off. Since the boxes were deeper than the height of the saw blade I had to rotate the box. I was never happy with the result.

MikeMen

Mike
Senior User
I would use your smallest VIX bit to drill about 1/16" into the box. This will create a centering point at the bottom of the hole so you can use a small bit to drill a pilot. You can also hand hold a countersink to chamfer the top of the hold to provide room for the top of the screw. I would also use a bit of soap to lube the screw. Brass is a soft, weak metal and you have to be careful not to snap the screw or cam out with the driver.

In case you don't have small bits, I bought a set of 1-60 drills from HF that come in handy and can satisfy your "New Tool" cravings.

MikeMen

Mike
Senior User
Keye - I've made many boxes and cut the top off with the TS. I cut opposite sides then shimmed the kerfs with 1/8" strips of wood. Blue tape holds things together while I cut the other 2 sides. The strips keep the sides from collapsing and messing up the cuts.

This has worked on small boxes and a couple of tool cabinets that were 24" by 36".

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any time I'm using brass screws in a harder wood I first screw in a steel screw of the same size. That way there is less risk of breaking or marring the brass screw. Also, stick the end of the screw in a bar of soap or bees wax to make it go in easier.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
You guys are not letting me buy a new tool, eh?
So you want to buy a new tool, eh? Go Google for gimlet sets. Remeasure your screw OD, then look for a gimlet that is 1/32" less in diameter. You'll still have to center the pilot hole by hand, but the small size of the hand powered (now that's a novel concept) makes it about as easy as it can be done.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS