Insect Damage in Red Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejones

New User
Dave
As some of you may remember I have a stack of Red Oak drying in my garage from a tree that came down in my yard. It is down to ~ 14% MC according to the El Cheapo meter I bought.

I have started milling down some of the boards to see what I have (and to practice working with my new jointer and planer). I am seeing some insect damage on a lot of the boards. How much damage varies quite a bit depending on the board, but some of it looks pretty bad to me.

My question is, what would you do with these holes if you wanted to use the wood? Also, how much damage before you would consider it scrap?

RO_Insect_Damage1.JPG

RO_Insect_Damage2.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The answer to one of your questions lies in what you're going to make with them. If it's a rustic piece, you've got it made. I've heard of folks drilling faux bug holes in wood for that rustic look. Wormy Chestnut, and Pecky Cypress are high dollar stock. If you're wanting to make something more refined, then the stock might not be desirable. The holes can be filled, and how you go about that will depend on your finishing plans. If it's going to be a clear film finish, some CA and sawdust will work great. If it's going to be stained or otherwise colored then you'll want to mix some colorant with your filler material.
I would never consider the wood scrap, it can always be used for a shop project where appearance isn't as important as functionality and strength.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

That's actually not that bad - flood the holes with thin CA, shoot with accelerator, sand and finish...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
It'd only be scrap if bug holes are causing structural issues (i.e. the wood is crumbling). Anything less is "character" :) Actually, even if you do you use it for a real furniture piece, there are always parts that aren't visible, or barely visible. Every project needs a little extra for setup, and as Dave mentioned, there are always shop projects. I wouldn't use it for a table top, but for anything else, it looks good to me.

Actually, strike all that. The bug holes make the lumber worthless. I'll be happy to dispose of it for you, just drop it by my place and I'll take care of all the hard work. :rolf:

davejones

New User
Dave
DaveO, at my current skil level all of my projects are "Rustic"! :rotflm:

Newbie question:
What is an example of CA (i.e. brandname)?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Question about these bug holes ...

Do they happen when the wood was still a tree, or after being cut and awaiting drying?

I have several cherry boards like this and it frustrates me to all end.

J

jeff...

Both but mainly while the tree is still standing. Besides without the bugs you would miss out on some pretty wood - Ambrosia Maple / Sycamore comes to mind.

davejones

New User
Dave

Do they happen when the wood was still a tree, or after being cut and awaiting drying?

These happened while it was still a tree. The base of the tree was completely eaten up (which is why it fell). I thought the upper sections of the tree were still solid, but obviously there was some damage.

BarryC

New User
Barry

There were quite a few of those types of holes in the Cherry I am using to build the crib and I incorporated them in to the piece. Those pieces are mostly used for the undersides or backsides of the crib. Except for a piece on one of the sides that got past quality control but it actually looks nice. Really need to fire the quality control guy!:rotflm:

My FIL came up one evening last week and was looking at the progress of the crib. I was showing him all the flaws I could see and he just listens then says 'those are what makes it unique and not a bought piece'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS