Input Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I have looked at a BT3100-1 that looks like new and am wondering about should I buy it or not. I now have a 20+year old Shopcraft that I made a roll around stand for and this is nicer but is it worth $175? I don't use my current saw daily or even weekly at times but it is a pain to use because of the fence and some other things.

So to all of you that have one or have had one what is a good price or should I just keep looking around for something better?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Those saws are very popular and can be very reliable and useful. They can be tuned and tricked out with some neat jigs. I think there are a few members who also post over at: http://www.bt3central.com/ and they should speak up about the fence. I remember when I was looking at them Tom Hintz did a review here: www.newwoodworker.com

Noise from the universal motor and thick hardwood stock were my concerns but you could put in earplugs and a good thin kerf blade and take your time.

If you're needing a saw get it. Another $100 can get you a good used contractor's saw which would be quieter and have cast iron top.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
This is mine with a few additions. Thought about upgrading but it does everything I've asked of it. Not the most powerful saw but well tuned with a good thin kerf blade it does the job. And there's lots of info and help on BT3central.

Tablesaw2.jpg

pete

Sully

New User
jay
I used to have one and it was a fine saw.

Some great things about the bt3100:

*) riving knife
*) excellent dust collection
*) sliding miter table
*) the top doesn't rust
*) solid locking fence

It sounds like a pretty good price if it is in good shape. Check out the belts on it if you can. If they need to be replaced they can be a real pain.

J

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I started with a BT3000. It helped me make many projects. It has several nice features, sliding table, riving knife, etc. But as mentioned it has a universal motor, the belts fail frequently and the 'shims' that the motor raises and lowers with are prone to failure.
I'm not bashing the saw but be aware of the issues. At $175 I would pass. I sold mine for $200 with the router table accessory, a router, several decent blades, a set of router bits, enclosed base with drawers and more.
For a few more $$$ you would be better off in the long run, IMHO.

RickC

New User
Rick
I have looked at a BT3100-1 that looks like new and am wondering about should I buy it or not. I now have a 20+year old Shopcraft that I made a roll around stand for and this is nicer but is it worth $175? I don't use my current saw daily or even weekly at times but it is a pain to use because of the fence and some other things.

So to all of you that have one or have had one what is a good price or should I just keep looking around for something better?

I had the same saw, and eventually upgraded. Some thoughts:

Pros:
====
-Splitter moves with the blade
-Sliding table
-wing for router (on mine - may not be standard)
-Lightweight, very poratble
-Handled *most* everything I threw on it, including 4x8 sheets!
-Cost effective

Cons:
====
-A little under powered. Had a little trouble with 4/4 stock and a lot with 8/4. Smaller stuff goes through just fine.
-Some of the common jigs you read about in WWing magazines, will need to be identified.
-There are shims needed to keep the blade positioned correctly to align with the riving knife. They can come off and fall down into the blade guard under the table. (I ended up taping mine together, worked great!)
-As mentioned, the shims to raise and lower the blade can bind. I had to replace mine, and I ended up buying two sets - just in case.

Overall:
=========
If you are not going to be using it on heavy stock, it is a great machine. If sawing stuff 4/4 or thicker, I would say save up and look for something a little beefier. There are some nice setups and jigs on the BT3000 site. First thing you do, should you get it, get a nice blade. Once I got rid of the stock blade and put a nice Freud blade on, it worked fantastically. Honestly, except that I knew I would have projects using thick stock, I would have kept it. But I am not a particularly patient person and the slow feed rate for that large stuff was driving me nuts!

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Thats what I have, no room for anytrhing bigger:confused_
But it does everything I throw at it I have even cut 4/4 ipe with it.
MTCW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors