ink as a wood stain

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
My wife does scrapbooking and she recently got a little spray bottle of "walnut ink" that is darker than she had hoped so she gave it to me in case I could use it. Then she showed me that she has a few others that I might try because she rarely uses them fast enough to keep them from drying out. They are various shades of distressing ink, which really got my interest as I have some projects I want to distress a little and make them look ancient. Anyone worked with the stuff? I have both softwood (spruce soundboard) and some hardwoods (ash, cherry and maple) that I might use it on. Advice would be appreciated.

Robert Brunke'

New User
Robert
Andy,
I have used ink on several projects, since they early 70's. Wood absorbs the ink deeper into the grain. I have only used spray lacquers and spray polyurethane for sealing with great results. Sometimes brushing has lifted the ink, depends on the ink. Use gloves as some inks can dye your skin for days.
Regards,
Robert

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
On the projects I am considering, the finish would be shellac and/or oil. Also, only the walnut ink is a spray; the others (that I am more likely to use) have applicator pads. The spruce soundoard is the single thing I am most concerned about. It soaks up stain like a sponge, but not always evenly.

M

McRabbet

India ink has been used for ebonizing maple and other woods for a long time and works very well. Since most inks are water-based suspensions (I believe), they will undoubtedly raise the grain and need thorough drying before a sealer coat is applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS