Info needed from Powermatic HH Planer owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
Being the only one in the household, with two legs (max) I decided to give myself a 15" Powermatic helical head planer for Christmas. It came in the week before Christmas so I assembled it in time to run by Christmas day. That was the good (tool gloat) part.

Now my issue with the machine. When it starts up it makes fairly loud bang/thud/rattle. I called customer service and they say it is normal. A big :thumbs_do to PM customer service on this one. doesn't sound normal to me. Attached is a link to a Drop box site that has a video with the noise it is making. I figured I could show it much better than explain it.

IS THAT really normal? Any opinions/info on the level of noise and sound is welcome. all other equipment with 3 hp starts very smoothly do this just doesn't seem right.

Info from non-powermatic planer owners would also be welcome. I'm trying to determine if I should pursue this further or use it for a while and see if something breaks, it does have a 5 year warranty.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8h51peyo32mufzi/NG9DsgyCZH

BTW, dropbox.com seems to be a nice tool to share files that are too big to e-mail.

Thanks to all for your input.

Ras

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
That is a pretty normal sound in my experience. My Woodmaster sander (Baldor motor) makes a louder version. I think my Powermatic 15S planer/molder makes the same sound. I expect it from any belt-driven device expected to come up to speed fast.

Try removing the belts and see it it makes the same sound.

And this thread should be in a different forum, like Power Tools.

-MK

ehpoole

Ethan
Mark is correct, the Help Desk is intended for site related problems/issues. Questions regarding woodworking in general belong in their appropriate forum where a much wider audience will be exposed to your thread and have the opportunity to respond. I have gone ahead and moved this thread to the "Power Tools and Their Use" forum where you should get more exposure.

No harm done, just something I wanted to clear up.

ehpoole

Ethan
With respect to the actual question raised.

The first click (or "thud") you hear is the contactor (a large relay) in the magnetic switch closing when you press the "On" button. The second "thud" you hear just moments later is the centrifugal switch in the motor -- which all single-phase induction motors have -- opening once the motor gets up to about 70% speed. The centrifugal switch is responsible for disengaging the starter winding (and capacitor).

To be clear, you will hear these sounds regardless of whether the belt is installed as they are part of the normal operation of the magnetic switch and motor. However, if there is any slack in your belt (i.e. not sufficiently tensioned) then there can be a third "thud" on startup (falling between the other two) which is simply the slack side of the belt slapping against either another surface of the other side of the belt (if on a narrow pulley). This would be a sign that the belt is likely in need of additional tensioning -- which I do not hear in your video.

All of them are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Rest easy and enjoy your new acquisition!

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
My PM15HH has been making that sound for 7 years (maybe more) now and runs perfectly. As mentioned above, the majority of that initial clunk ios the heavy duty magnetic switch engaging. That's a good sound.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
The magentic switch click is loud, but I think what you are hearing is that 3 hp. motor fireing up and the torque within the cabinet. I now have the same plane as you. It replaced he same basic machine with stright blades. It too made noise at start up. Both machines ran great. I think thisis normal in spite of all the racket.

Pop

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
Thanks everyone. I will just re-check all adjustments and use it until...

Having other 3 hp machines I had never heard a machine do that before.

I appreciate the sharing of info.

Ras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS