Indexing jig for mortiser

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Thanks to some great advice from you guys ,I recently bought a used mortiser. Thank you Kelly for declaring this machine excess. It's in great shape.
The project that convinced me to get it , is a chest of drawers . It's bosed on one in Fine Woodworkling article by Mike Pecovitch. The plan calls for double M&T joints. The design uses
has equally sized drawers and a symetrical hole pattern. The pictures below show the jig I made to make sure every mortise was alligned with it's mate.

IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0571.JPGIMG_0572.JPGIMG_0576.JPGIMG_0577.JPGIMG_0579.JPG

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Outstanding. Did you use a dead block against the stops to make sure the mortises were all the same height?

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Your right Denis. The slots are just a saw blade wide . The stops are 1/8 masonite. Then I cut stop blocks for the height.

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
If the rest of the project looks and good as the mortises you are going to have a fine piece of furniture. Very good work. You used a good tool, but you used your brain and technique to make it work better.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I don't build a lot of pieces. But I like to learn something new with every one.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS