In The Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I've done some relief carving, but had not attempted in-the-round until now. I still need some practice, but I think I can get there (although probably not to the level of some carvers on this site :)). But it was fun so I'll probably do more so I can continue to learn.

Black Capped Chickadee carved from Tupelo. A combination of power and hand carving; the feathering texture was done with a wood burner. Acrylic paint.

I mounted it to a pine stump I found:
SANY04111.JPG

SANY04071.JPG
A little larger than life size. The feet were a real challenge:BangHead:!
SANY04121.JPG

Thanks for looking. Comments/criticisms are welcome.

macdaddy

New User
Steve
Great job. How did you get the pine stump looking so dark? At first I thought it was a Cypress Knee.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Great job. How did you get the pine stump looking so dark? At first I thought it was a Cypress Knee.

I left it it's natural color (very little sanding) and applied a coat of sanding sealer to give it some depth.

stave

New User
stave
Great work and paint job. I hate carving feet and try my best to pose the bird so you don't see them! Looks to me like a successful carving. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing the next one.

Stave

MagGeorge

New User
George
Beautiful bird, awesome details on the feathers and feet. Like the colors and the use of the wood as mount, it adds a great appeal. Great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS