in/outfeed tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I got the infeed and outfeed tables made for my new planer.
made them removable. a frame covered with 2 peices of 1/4 ply then 3/4 pressed wood laminated on both sides (what i had laying around).
Not too much to look at but strong flat and stright:icon_thum

Then i got a peice of 3/4 mdf 6' long waxed on one side and a stop block on the end of the other side.
if i use it i have a 6' flat smooth surface.
Turn it over, use some painters tape and hotmelt glue and i have a 6' jointing sled:eusa_danc

Smooth surface
DSC01143a.jpg

Sled (end stop circled)
DSC01135a.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Earl that's awesome. That will turn your planner into a much more precise and useful tool. I really like the adjustable leg supports. It is amazing what can be done with the scraps around the shop :-D
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Lots of ingenuity there, Earl.:eusa_clap Looks like it will really help with lengthy stock!
Bring on the 12 footers. eh?!

Wayne

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job Earl.:icon_thum I bet that will enhance the performance of your planer nicely.

D L

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Earl, I don't understand how your tables serve as a jointer sled if you turn it over. I have seen jointer sleds for planers and they were much more complicated. Can you explain this to an old guy who just doesn't get it?
Roy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cool Earl :cool:

I hadn't previously realized that one rarely needs the full height of a planer. And your setup extends planer capability.

Like Roy, I'm not sure I fully understand the "jointer" part. I'm guessing that the stop and double-sided tape hold the piece to allow jointing curved/twisted pieces????

Sapwood

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
all he has to do is wedge the bottom side so it doesnt wobble when the piece is going through. then it will be planed/jointed flat on one side. Its a very slick way to join wood wider than 6in if you only have a 6in jointer.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Grgramps said:
Earl, I don't understand how your tables serve as a jointer sled if you turn it over. I have seen jointer sleds for planers and they were much more complicated. Can you explain this to an old guy who just doesn't get it?
Roy
Ok let me see if I can explane it a little better.
Frist an infeed and an outfeed table just extensions of the small tables already there, I made then easly removable and adjustable.

Ok now I have a 3/4' peice of mdf wide enough to just pass through the planer 6' long.
One side is painted the other side is waxed.
On one end of the painted side i have a 3/8 " strip as a stop.
If i put the waxed side up and run it through the planer the stop block is down and catches on the in feed table so the planer cannot pull it through, I now have a 6' flat smooth surface clear through the planer, of course everything is off by 3/4".

For jointing
Ok now if I turn the mdf over so the waxed side is down i can take a board butt it up agenst the stop so it will push the mdf through, next find the high spot of the board put tape on the bottom of the board and the mdf also, then put hot melt glue in the space (the tape keeps the glue from sticking to the board or the mdf) when the glue cools i have a shim then i can run it through the planner taking light cuts until i have a flat surface.
When its flat I can remove the board turn it over remove the glue and tape then go ahead and plane that side normaly.

Well I hope you can understand that.8-O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors