in need of planer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
many of you have stated dewalt is a good piece! :icon_thum would love to buy used, but running out of time and patience. first project will be planing about 1200-1500 bdft of poplar to trim home I'm about to build! then will be used less sparingly.:-? dave

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
735 may be better for what i need then the 733. may be why he upgraded.

anyone have a opinion! i have alot more planing to do that involves hardwoods! is 733 alot better then the small 12 1/2 delta? cause that delta struggles!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
i've got the 733 and no problems here, only problem i have is overloading the circuit, we only have one circuit for everything in the basement. but the 733 plows through everything I've thrown at it... the 735 was just a little too high for me...he's getting rid of it b/c he just got a 20" Jet planer...don't think it was b/c of the fact he didn't like the dewalt

Last edited:

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
ooo im not saying he didnt like it. i read post on 20 " planer. how much wood at one time can u plane with it before it needs a rest!? they dont even show the 733 on dewalt web page!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
the manual says it can handle 1/8" per pass...but I haven't pushed it that far...generally around a 1/16" on a 12" wide board...bogs it down a little but she never stops..if I'm planing I don't stop until I'm done, should I be giving the planer a break?

M

McRabbet

Dave,

I've had my Dewalt DW733 planer for more than 6 years and it has been a faultless workhorse for me. I have planed everything from Red and White Oak to Birch to Poplar and Cherry. I had a nick in one blade after about 3 years of use (from a small piece of nail embedded in a pallet board that I missed seeing with my metal detector) and I was able to work around the nick for 2 more years -- I have planed as much as 120 BF of white oak at a session, with multiple passes, without every tripping the motor reset or popping a breaker. I normally take a 1/2 turn pass at a time (1/32") and the resulting surfaces are slick (I've never taken 1/8" passes, but it handles 1/16" passes without bogging down). I have a 4" dust hood on it and collect chips with a separator. Just changed knives a month ago and it took less than 20 minutes. It is a good machine and if you support the board well on both the infeed and outfeed side, snipe is minimal.

I'd go for the one for sale on the site from Allan Campbell before it disappears!

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Everybody and everything needs a break from time to time, especially hobby quality stuff. Stop, listen to Hank Williams Sr sing Your Cheatin' Heart and let the stuff cool.

Then put Patsy on.

And smile.

Jim

J

jeff...

Everybody and everything needs a break from time to time, especially hobby quality stuff. Stop, listen to Hank Williams Sr sing Your Cheatin' Heart and let the stuff cool.

Then put Patsy on.

And smile.

Jim

In other words Don't Worry Be Happy?

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I 2nd what McRabbet said. The 733 is a work horse. I have had one for over 5 years and never had any problem with it. I have planed all the wood for two sets of kitchen cabinets, 4 sets of bathroom vanities and the trim for 2 houses and many other projects with it. For $250 and 2 extra sets of blades you should jump on it NOW. My $.02.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
This discussion got me thinking. Does having the airflow from your dust collection running keep the motor cooler? So that you could run longer without the potentail of overheating?

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I would be all over this planer but I just got a good deal on an <2 yr old jet cabinet saw (with 7' rails and extension table) and I need a month or so to acquire a few more funds.

tv

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i was just looking at the one for sale, with two sets of blades, jump on it, the blades are close to $50 a set and the planer has done a lot of work for me with no problems (i have the same model)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jim,
If the 733 is like my 735 the motor has a fan sucking a bunch of air through the planer to assist with chip ejection. I don't think overheating the motor would be an issue. I also connect mine to my cyclone but when I demo'd the planer it was open to the outside and it shot chips ~10ft away!

I don't put large boards through mine because I think it's not necessary and wastes a lot of wood. I rough cut the pieces, joint, plane, final dimension cut and assemble. The longest pieces are generally less than 4ft.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Does anyone know the difference between the DW733 and the DW734 - looks like the 734 is the new model and I think uses different blades but I have not been able to confirm that yet.

Amazon has the 734 priced at $276 (after $40 rebate) and I looked at a 733 yesterday used here in Raleigh for $150. Anyone know what the differences are? They look the same but must have been some reason for the model change.

M

McRabbet

The DW734 has a three cutter head rather than the 2 cutters on the DW733. The blades are dual sided and disposable, but cannot be resharpened. It is a little lighter in weight, too. Otherwise, the two models are very similar.

DavidF

New User
David
The DW734 has a three cutter head rather than the 2 cutters on the DW733. The blades are dual sided and disposable, but cannot be resharpened. It is a little lighter in weight, too. Otherwise, the two models are very similar.

And the 735 is two speed / 3 knife and is a fantastic tool. Also has automatic carriage lock to avoid snipe and is 13" wide.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
So does anyone know if there is a review of the small planers on the market? Is the DW735 worth the extra money? I've also heard good things about the Makita and Ridgid planers - be great to see a review by one of the major publications. Anyone seen a comparison?

DavidF

New User
David
So does anyone know if there is a review of the small planers on the market? Is the DW735 worth the extra money? I've also heard good things about the Makita and Ridgid planers - be great to see a review by one of the major publications. Anyone seen a comparison?

I did a lot of reaearch before I bought my 735 and it pretty much came top in all the reviews, but I am afraid I can't point you at one in particular.

If you are in my area you are very welcome to come and try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors