Impact drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
John, if you get the DeWalt, please let us know how you like it. I am thinking about getting one when one of my drills die.

Go

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
now is the perfect time to add the DW li-ion impact kit to your tool set. get a second battery for the screwdriver/drill and you will wonder why you didn't do it before! (I had the occasion to play with a client's DW 18v LI while doing an install a few months ago) The weight difference was staggering. As I have to Ni-Cad's that are dying, I will be making the transition to LI soon.

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey all
It has come the time that I need to retire one of my Dewalt 18v drills:5sigh:. (own 2 of them)
I was thinking instead of replacing it with another, that I would go the route of an impact Driver.:eusa_thin:eusa_thin
So what I am trying to achieve here is to see what you all think about them pros and cons, experience with brand/model, lith-ion or nicad, etc.

Looking forward to the input from all.:icon_thum

MAC

Hi Mac - GREAT to hear from you again!

The December 2009 edition of Popular Woodworking has a comparison between several different 12V "Compact" drill-drivers. They ranked the Milwaukee 2410-22 as the Editors Choice, and the Hitachi DS10DFL as the best value.

I have several different drill / drivers, from 3V up to 28V, and I find that the 12V size is my favorite general purpose tool due to the combination of small size / light weight yet excellent power.

I'll be glad to fax you the article if you're interested.

Scott

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hi Mac - GREAT to hear from you again!

The December 2009 edition of Popular Woodworking has a comparison between several different 12V "Compact" drill-drivers. They ranked the Milwaukee 2410-22 as the Editors Choice, and the Hitachi DS10DFL as the best value.

I have several different drill / drivers, from 3V up to 28V, and I find that the 12V size is my favorite general purpose tool due to the combination of small size / light weight yet excellent power.

I'll be glad to fax you the article if you're interested.

Scott

Scott, Hey buddy thanks for the reply.
However it's Impact Drivers that I am looking at, I have a good compact drill/driver. (Dewalt 18v)

MAC

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I've got the newest Makita 18v Li impact driver and drill. (seems like getting the drill with the impact is $40 more than just the impact driver) I like them both. You can't beat a 15 min. charge. Run out of power, put it on the charger, go on break and when you come back it's ready to go again. I can't bring myself to pick up my other drills now and just in the last few weeks the impact driver has driven a several pounds of screws to their resting place. Good tools.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
During HD's recent clearance sale, I purchased the Dewalt combo pack that included an 18v impact-driver and 18v drill for $149. I really didn't need the drill, but had I purchased just the impact driver, I would have paid around $279 (as I recall). This is my first driver and it does a great job. Cheers.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I have the hitachi 10.8v lithium ion. It has 10 year guarantee. will drive the screw head completly through the wood. I bought mine in a kit with drill, 3 batteries and charger. T hese units have led light. Helps me cause I cannot see that well. I do not let my wife use these. They are mine.
James

Umich684

New User
Jake
Totally agree with all the posts about the Makits LCT300W. Used one for 2 yrs, and loved it so much I bought a set for my dad. He's one of those who won't spend his own money on a new tool... :)

BUT FOR COMPARISON!
ref=dp_image_0

Just bought the PWW recommendation of the Milwakee competitor...
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2691-22-18-Volt-Compact-Impact/dp/B001F7BIMG\

Had it for 2 weeks now and totally agree with the rave reviews. Price is right, durability is great.
1 difference from the Makita, the trigger has a 1/8" pull before the bit engages, It's not a hair triger like the Makitas. It took some getting useto, but I actually like it. It turns the LED light on before the drill starts spinning...

Love it, love the price.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey all
It has come the time that I need to retire one of my Dewalt 18v drills:5sigh:. (own 2 of them)
I was thinking instead of replacing it with another, that I would go the route of an impact Driver.:eusa_thin:eusa_thin
So what I am trying to achieve here is to see what you all think about them pros and cons, experience with brand/model, lith-ion or nicad, etc.

Looking forward to the input from all.:icon_thum

MAC

Just an update. I ordered a makita 18V Impact driver from CPOMakita. It was a refurbished one.
Got it in 2 days.(Pretty Quick)
Opened it up, and oohed, and aawed i:eusa_danct for a bit.:tool:
Took it out to the shop to get a driver bit and some screws to try it out.
The driver bit would not seat or lock in. "What the heck is this, is it me or what:dontknow:?"
I look into the head and discovered what looked like something had gotten into it and been hammered and peened into the recess. Which of course stopped the 2 ball bearings from being able to move and lock onto the bit.
I tried for a little bit to try and pry or dislodge what ever it was. However the metal was too mushroomed inside to do anything with.
Next day I called CPO up. Salesperson offered to send me a replacement, and since the price was right I told him to go ahead. 10 Minutes latter he calls back to inform me that they were completely out. So now I am back in the hunt for an Impact driver.
Evidently "refurbished by factory trained technicians" does not mean that they actually thoroughly test the equipment before they repackage it and send it back out:BangHead:.
Kind of ticks one off to see something like that, but what are you going to do.
I guess I could of sent it back to Makita under the factory warranty. But you know I just didn't want to have to do that, and wait for how lomg to get something back. Plus I would have had to pay for the shipping. CPOMAKITA sent be a return label to send it back to them.

MAC

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Just an update. I ordered a makita 18V Impact driver from CPOMakita. It was a refurbished one.
Got it in 2 days.(Pretty Quick)
Opened it up, and oohed, and aawed i:eusa_danct for a bit.:tool:
Took it out to the shop to get a driver bit and some screws to try it out.
The driver bit would not seat or lock in. "What the heck is this, is it me or what:dontknow:?"
I look into the head and discovered what looked like something had gotten into it and been hammered and peened into the recess. Which of course stopped the 2 ball bearings from being able to move and lock onto the bit.
I tried for a little bit to try and pry or dislodge what ever it was. However the metal was too mushroomed inside to do anything with.
Next day I called CPO up. Salesperson offered to send me a replacement, and since the price was right I told him to go ahead. 10 Minutes latter he calls back to inform me that they were completely out. So now I am back in the hunt for an Impact driver.
Evidently "refurbished by factory trained technicians" does not mean that they actually thoroughly test the equipment before they repackage it and send it back out:BangHead:.
Kind of ticks one off to see something like that, but what are you going to do.
I guess I could of sent it back to Makita under the factory warranty. But you know I just didn't want to have to do that, and wait for how lomg to get something back. Plus I would have had to pay for the shipping. CPOMAKITA sent be a return label to send it back to them.

MAC

Dang, that sucks! I've had good luck with the CPO sites. Sorry to hear you had one go bad. If it were me I'd twist thier arm a bit to have them offer a suitable replacement instead.

Trav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS